Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

dfwair
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

BGP with multihop on one link, no multihop on secondary

Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:47 am

We have 2 providers for our network, one that requires multihop, and another that doesn't. The one that does not require multihop is taking priority over the other one. In the routing table with only the multihop provider I am seeing all the route propogating with unknown listed for the interface. When I connect the other provider, I show its interface name listed there. Due to this, it appears that all of our traffic is going out the secondary link and not the primary. We have made sure that both of these are Tier 2 providers so the routes should be somewhat diverse.

Provider 1: BGP'd upstream Level3 and Internap (AS30496)
Provider 2: BGP'd upstream Cogent (AS36024)

We call these Tier 2 providers because our colocation facility is connecting into their routers before us.

Please let me know what we are doing wrong now that can fix the problem and we can have traffic flowing out both links. Thanks a bunch.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:06 am

You need the routing-test package to use those bgp features I believe. the '/routing filter' and '/routing bgp peer' should provide this functionality.

Sam

dfwair
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:59 pm

So much for the love of the GUI I suppose. I will try to do this tonight. Ugh.

tiagom
just joined

help

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:15 am

friends I am needing to use the technology BGP, ja I tried to make loadbalaced with the ECMP but the MSN and other things are falling direct, can help me please, I have 4 wan
Tiago Matias
Wireless - Mundo sem Volta.

dfwair
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:06 pm

I tried the routing-test package (2.9.8, btw) and I was unable to make any announcements. I got it set up to the best of my knowledge and didn't get anything out of it. Any more information you could share to help out?

tiagom
just joined

bgp

Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:03 pm

it would have alguem here that it could in assisting them with the BGP or that can make a HOW-TO explaining as we can use it. Grateful
Tiago Matias
Wireless - Mundo sem Volta.

ysam
just joined

Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:49 pm

propogating with unknown listed for the interface.
You have to ensure next-hop reachability first.

You can do this either with an IGP such as ospf or via static routes.

In other words you have to be able to "ping" the ip of the bgp neighbor before you can pass traffic to him.

You don't need the routing-test package in order to do what you are trying to do. I also woudn't advise you to put it (routing-test) in a production environment because it's in a very early beta stage.

nikhil
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:40 am

how did it go ?