reactivating stalled subprojects like UserManager
20 (7%)
improving API support
12 (4%)
establishing better WebFig support for various web devices
6 (2%)
increasing overall usability and user experience
11 (4%)
providing new hardware for high end users (large ISP, broadband...)
42 (15%)
providing new hardware for low end users (home and office use)
23 (8%)

Total votes: 276

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

[poll]What do you prefer on further development of Mikrotik?

Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:37 am

Here is survey to show what users think of way how further Mikrotik development should go on in future.
Join in, feel free to vote and comment.

Thanks for participating.
Last edited by pedja on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JP_Wireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: What do you prefer on further development of Mikrotik?

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:41 pm

This is a good idea if it will draw the attention of the decision maker of mikrotik. Alot have been suggested as it affect the user about the features to be added e.g. to usermanager ticketing and presentation (Serial number, creation date, numbers of voucher per page etc) but nothing has been done about it. Check out some billing system like antamedia, alepo, rbs etc, they all have anough features to suite every system administrator need.

We do alot of scripting in mikrotik to get most of what we want when all these can be improved upon or included to make it number one choice of every minded administrator and make it easier to administer.

The test package has alot of features that never mature to be included in the stable version, as such many has no choice other than to go with it.
JP Wireless:::
One Stop ICT, Alternative Power & Electronics Securities Solutions Provider!
Tel: +2348098798779, +2348055353151
http://www.jpwireless.net: Email: info[at]jpwireless.net
36, Diya Road, Gbagada, Lagos - Nigeria.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:43 pm

Thank you for the opinions, however it should also be noted that we have hundreds of thousands of active customers in nearly all countries of the world, but such poll, even though much appreciated, would only gather a few tens or maybe hundreds of votes. The forum represents a tiny fraction of our actual users. That being said, we are still excited to see the results! :)
No answer to your question? How to write posts

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:36 pm

Well, it is hard to believe that someone actively uses Mikrotik and does not follow this forum. Ok, it is unterstandable, that you want to minimize effects of this pool, as it will probably not match your development plans.

I guess you are counting hudreds of thousands Mikrotik users who are endu clients, and hardly know that they actually use Mikrotik, and if they do something with it it is not much more than switching it of and on if it halts.

For some reason, Mikrotik stuff avoids any oportunity to discuss their develoment plans and needs of users publicly. I wolud like to see you to finally make a difference and show some sincere interest for users real needs by motivating people to see and participate in this survey. You may make it sticky topic so it is easily visible, at least.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:04 am

there are whole continents where people don't understand a word in english. also the indonesian forum is even larger than this one (27000 users vs 40000 users) :)
For some reason, Mikrotik stuff avoids any oportunity to discuss their develoment plans and needs of users publicly.
this is an industry where every day something new is developed and discovered, one day wimax seems like the way to go, the next one, everyone has forgotten about it. we watch and we listen

JP_Wireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:49 pm

Mikrotik has a duty of drawing real time user's attention to the forum as most of our everyday problems are being addressed in the forum. I cant remember when last i got a mail from mikrotik addressing an issue, If your real time users', ie (those that are using mikrotik and knows why they are using it) attention are drawn here, it will serve as an avenue to which you can hear directly from majority of the users. Or is there any other collection of users where their opinion counts?

You can replicate the survey in the indonesian forum as well to get their view if you really want to take the response serious and the problem is the number of sampled opinion. That will give you a head way.

Lastly, your competitors are watching keenly looking for a crack to brake your jinx. You know very well that if something comes up tomorrow and pretend to be better, alot of you troubled users are willing to give it a trial just as they all come to try yours.
JP Wireless:::
One Stop ICT, Alternative Power & Electronics Securities Solutions Provider!
Tel: +2348098798779, +2348055353151
http://www.jpwireless.net: Email: info[at]jpwireless.net
36, Diya Road, Gbagada, Lagos - Nigeria.

hel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:20 pm

Can't wait for the WORKING prioritization system. When? Just when it'll be working?! :(

So yeah, we need improving of an existing functions.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:30 pm

Wireless development is the number one of our wishes. Working nv2, faster connections, qam256, 3,5 Ghz, tpc, ...

More and stable bandwidth with more coverage and more usable spectrum gives us a better standing with increasing competition.

yogii
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:14 pm

i think we miss 1.

Mikrotik development should focus on: PC Hardware and Very High Performance RouterBoard. :)

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:24 pm

i think we miss 1.

Mikrotik development should focus on: PC Hardware and Very High Performance RouterBoard. :)
I think going PC Hardware is the wrong way. I would like to see High Performance Routerboard.
I love our RB1000s but as my mobile phone has a faster Processor it's time to give us something new :lol:

Why no PC? Just start a PC and a RB1000 and you'll see a big difference. PC has to much unused
Hardware for a router. And when you look at power consumption ...

I would like to see a RB which can handle 1GBit/s routed with 64Byte packets.

yogii
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:37 pm

the reason why i said pc hardware, because i personally want make a powerfull custom router. :D, so, i hope development for very high performance routerboard and development for all kind hardware support for PC based.

or router (such as routerboard form factor) that removable NIC? :lol:

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:51 pm

Maybe mix of the two getting the bes of both? Routerboards are better when using resources and energy consumption. PC's are better for custom configurations.

So, why not get Routerboard that has miniPCI and PCI slots so we can freely use interfaces we need.

But above all, we need RouterOS that works fine, with no serious bugs or half done functionality.

yogii
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:01 am

So, why not get Routerboard that has miniPCI and PCI slots so we can freely use interfaces we need.
yes.. very like this, routerboard that has PCI slots. :D

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Re: What do you prefer on further development of Mikroti

Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:50 pm

Maybe mix of the two getting the bes of both? Routerboards are better when using resources and energy consumption. PC's are better for custom configurations.

As MT has to provide drivers for everything which is plugged into these slots it would generate work for them which is missing at other places.

But above all, we need RouterOS that works fine, with no serious bugs or half done functionality.
Yes! So its good to concentrate on a smaller hardware base and make this working flawless.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:40 am

As MT has to provide drivers for everything which is plugged into these slots it would generate work for them which is missing at other places.
MT runs fine on PC with various PCI cards, so drivers are already there.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:37 am

MT runs fine on PC with various PCI cards, so drivers are already there.
Yes. As there are linux drivers. But nevertheless it generates work to support this.
E.g. I had some Vlan/Big Packet problems with some cards under linux with could
not be resolved as the linux drivers do not support it. Vlan looks to work fine but
only with small packets. Or do you like to see the complete set of interface status
values. Getting this from the card may vary from card to card.
So I like a complete platform where I can be sure everything works as expected.
This can be done only with a limited amount of supported hardware. Concentrating
on a smaller amount of devices increases the quality.
I am willing to buy the supported hardware and do not expect to take any ethernet
card (there are thousands out there) and expect that it is fully supported by ROS
and any ROS update in the future.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:42 pm

I really do not get your point. Mikrotik already supports x86 platform and various hardware. It works. There is nothing to develop there and does not require any additional support.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:28 am

I really do not get your point. Mikrotik already supports x86 platform and various hardware. It works. There is nothing to develop there and does not require any additional support.
You are not correct here. There are many users who find that their motherboard/ethernet is not supported, and the only thing we can say is, to wait for a new linux kernel, and then to wait until we add it to RouterOS. If all of _your_ PCs worked right away, you are just lucky.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:43 am

Well, then I am pretty much lucky as I have no problems using x86 platform. There is very wide offer of various lan cards and it is not hard to get one that works (actually, I never saw one that does not work). Wlan cardsa re trickier but stil there is no problem getting ones that are supported. After all, with minpci to pci adapter, one has even more solutions.

Problems with motherboards? Only of one needs virtualization, then he must pick proper motherboard.

But, again, this does not change a thing about option of Routerboard with PCI slots. That would be just a plus, and even deal with unsuported motherboards issues.

I would really like to see something like RB433 but with 6 PCI slots instead, which would let me combine whatever I need. Then, six slots would be too much, I would satisfy with four :)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:44 am

what would you put in those slots and why?

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:56 am

lan and wlan inerfaces, what else?

Point is to have option to choose number of devices as needed, not to buy expensive device with fixed interfaces we do not need but we have to get because there is no other device that fits better.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:51 am

Wel, it's been a while sinsce poll started. it shows some results. What are your opinions about produced graph. Does it reflect your views too?

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:56 am

166 votes and some points are already emphasized...

mm690
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:29 pm

voxframe
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: [poll]What do you prefer on further development of Mikro

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:52 am

Fixing bugs, and better testing before releasing.

These are the biggest problems with MT, and once they manage to learn to overcome these, they will be much more powerful. (If they ever learn to do this)

It was the same issue years ago when MT started playing with wireless. It seemed everyone forgot that MT was actually a router, and piles of bugs appeared.

Now I feel we are having the same problem. Too many board versions, too many projects, no serious emphasis on the core product any more. (Too much wasted trying to be Ubnt?!). We now have things like the 250GS that is worthless because the hardware does not properly handle VLANs, like every other VLAN switch is capable of. The RB-1100, 1200, AH, whatever, mess that doesn't work properly no matter what firmware you use. (My 1100s still have a memory leak on any 5.x firmware, and run like shit on 4.x... What do I do with this hardware?)

I want MT to be a router. The way it should be. 5.x is a worthless joke. There's no excuse for this many revisions and still having a broken/half-built product (Hello IPv6! Either do it fully/properly or don't do it at all until it's ready, same as usermanager, make it work properly or drop it)

Back to basics MT!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:59 am

Back to basics MT!
v2.8.28
v2.9.51

don't you think that currently we are much better than before?

markom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:12 am

I would be pleased if I see RB750AW (ADSL+WIFI) that would be amazing peace of hardware because I will no more By hundreds of Linksys ADSL routers for clients. And after all demo license will be more than enough for 99.99% of residential clients.

asdewq
just joined

Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:15 am

Back to basics MT!
v2.8.28
v2.9.51

don't you think that currently we are much better than before?
normis, what is better on this: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 59#p294459