Community discussions

MikroTik App

hci
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

PPPoE and Radius

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:19 pm

We are needing to setup PPPoE and a radius server. We use the PPPoE to ratelimit users at there purchased rate plan in the Mikrotik. We need to track 2 years of IP logs for abuse etc. We also need to track bandwidth consumption per user.

Keep hearing about user manager. What is the best way to go, a radius server or user manager? Any good how to guides?

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PPPoE and Radius

Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:33 pm

We use FreeRADIUS, but requires designing/customizing your own front end to view/enter/manipulate the data. There are pre-made GUI's you can get but I'd say its best to design to your specific use.

I haven't used User Manager much at all but would probably be an easier out of the box solution.

There's plenty of good information on the FreeRADIUS mailing list. And I'm sure there's documentation/wiki on the Mikrotik User Manager.

I'd say compare them both side by side and see what is going to be best for your situation. Once configured properly FreeRADIUS is practically set and forget.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PPPoE and Radius

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:55 am

We are needing to setup PPPoE and a radius server. We use the PPPoE to ratelimit users at there purchased rate plan in the Mikrotik. We need to track 2 years of IP logs for abuse etc. We also need to track bandwidth consumption per user.

Keep hearing about user manager. What is the best way to go, a radius server or user manager? Any good how to guides?
+1 to that request,

Our current configuration has each AP (Mikrotik) using the PPPoE server and not a central PPPoE concentrator and just asking for advice on this should we use radius server or user manager, is there any performance hit by using a central PPPoE server and at present our backbone which is 100% MT uses mostly 433ah + 493AH could the central server require swapping boards for higher spec.