Community discussions

TheWiFiGuy
Topic Author

Mikrotik suited to this project?

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:58 pm

I have a project that Im trying to keep Mikrotik, but would like some advice from you guys if possible.

The project consists of 40 separate dwellings, with each dwelling having the following equipment installed:

WiFi Access Point
Apple TV
Internet TV
Ethernet Port
Mikrotik 750GL

Im thinking I can use the 750GL to VLAN all the dwelling equipment together , and have a trunk port sending the traffic back to the comms building.

The comms building will have 2 x 24 port managed switches, An RB1100AH (HotSpot services) plus RB450G(or similar) for load balancing onto 4 ADSL lines.

Requirements:

Each dwelling to be isolated from each other. AppleTV and InternetTV to access the internet without any authentication issues(whitelist?) with the Access Points and Ethernet port going via the hotspot service on the RB1100.

There's no reason why Mikrotik won't be able to meet these requirements is there?

Lastly - can anyone recommend a good/value for money fibre switch as some of these dwellings will have fibre to dwelling which will need to be broken out back to ethernet at the dwelling (fibre being used due to distance from comms building)

Any comments much appreciated.
----------------------
Mikrotik Consultant.
MTCNA, MTWCE, MTCTCE, MTCRE, MTCINE

dasiu
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Mikrotik suited to this project?

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:45 am

Im thinking I can use the 750GL to VLAN all the dwelling equipment together , and have a trunk port sending the traffic back to the comms building.
Why don't you use 250GS? :) 750GL is a router - and the device from your description is a vlan switch :).

TheWiFiGuy
Topic Author

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:52 am

Why don't you use 250GS? :) 750GL is a router - and the device from your description is a vlan switch :).
Not in stock and not due in until late jan. I thought the 750gl had a switch chip so would suffice
----------------------
Mikrotik Consultant.
MTCNA, MTWCE, MTCTCE, MTCRE, MTCINE

dasiu
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:31 am

Yeah, but 750GL is a lot more, than a vlan switch :). 40$ for 250GS and 60$ for 750GL is a big difference - if you only want to use 750GL for vlan switching :). Maybe it's better to buy it from a distant distributor? ;)