MikroTik App

risipetillo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

No Link Light on Switch Side of POE Adapter

Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:30 pm

Dear all,

Need a little help with troubleshooting Unifi setup. Currently have a Unifi Access Point connected to Mikrotik 751U Routerboard.

I've validated that the configuration was working before shipping to customer. The only difference was that the ethernet cables used were shorter while doing my testing.

I shipped to the customer with instructions on how to connect (sent them longer cables to connect Unifi in the ceiling), however, now when connected we don't get any link light on the Mikrotik 751U - Link in DOWN state.

He has validated that he can see the SSID from the Unifi, so we know it's getting powered up, however, No link light on the Switch Side - Mikrotik 751U.

I'm pretty sure the problem is a cabling issue, as I instructed him to unmount the Unifi box, and use a shorter cable to test connecting to the POE port on the POE adapter, and we were able to see a link light on the Mikrotik 751U - and I could see in logs that it got a DHCP addresses, pinging ... etc.

My question is

(1) Could the problem be a POE problem - not enough power in the POE adapter to establish connectivity? - Use a 48v POE adapter instead?

(2) or Should I just send / use an alternate Cable - Maybe ToughCable?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: No Link Light on Switch Side of POE Adapter

Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:12 am

Have you even considered that the longer cable itself is bad (bad connector on cable)?

As long as the cable is less than 300FT (that is the max ethernet distance available), then distance should not be a problem.

If you are getting SSID, then it is not a POE issue... the board is obviously getting power and booting properly and powering a radio.