Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ansy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

RB751U - how many master switch ports can be configured?

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:44 pm

Hello MTikers!

I need something about this config on my new brand fancy RB751U-2HnD:
  • 2 ports (eth1-eth2), with REAL static IP on master grouped in switch.
  • 2 ports (eth3-eth4), on another master grouped in another switch and bridged with wlan0, with LOCAL IP on bridge interface, alltogether SRC-NATed to real IP.
  • 1 port (eth5) standalone master with another guest LOCAL IP, SRC-NATed to real IP.
So, I want wire-speed eth3-eth4 with transparent wlan0 to them in my office,
and wire-speed transparent eth1-eth2 communication (passing real IP traffic from uplink eth1 to another real IP clients on eth2).

Guests on eth5 are not speed critical, but need special management and QoS in CPU.

Please explain me, why can't I create MORE THAN ONE master port forming TWO sub-switches (error 6 in WinBox)?
What do I miss understanding schema and switch logic for this device?

dasiu
Trainer
Trainer

Re: RB751U - how many master switch ports can be configured?

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:17 am

What do I miss understanding schema and switch logic for this device?
You miss the fact, that the switching chip is a physical device inside the routerboard :). Like a normal cheap switch - you cannot "divide" it to 2 smaller switches :).
See this: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Sw ... p_Features :). There are only few routerboards (with greater number of ethernet ports, like RB493G or RB1100) which have two switching chips (meaning that you can set 2 master ports) - but even then the ports are strictly assigned to 2 groups and cannot be "regrouped".

Ansy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: RB751U - how many master switch ports can be configured?

Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:48 pm

Well, cheap chip for switch :)

I've read that link and schemas twice before configuring RB751U, but found nothing there about only one master port available.

May be it's time to append some info to documentation wiki?

Can anyone post here schema/link of RB7xx internal switch interconnections like that for ASUS WL-500g?
Sorry for picture size, but that's small enough ~30kB indeed.

I hope it'll help to explain what can we configure and what we can't never.