I could not find anywhere how to upgrade from 2.8 to 2.9 so I had to try out on my own. It showed up quite simple and straightforward, but, as it looks quite scary, i gess it is good to have whole procedure explained:
Boot up MT 2.9 install CD on MT 2.8 computer. It will get you to the point to warn you that all data on hard drive will be erased and ask if it should continue. Approve. Next question by Install would be if you want to keep old configuration. Confirm. It will save configuration, format disk, restore configuration and install new MT. Log in and check if configuratin is correct.
- simple queue now may have parent simple queue. Very powerfull option
- connection list in firewall now show connection marks set by mangling rules and p2p protocols recognized within packets. Very helpful informations.
- you can set log prefix thus marking log items so you can recognize what rule produced item
- graphing utility. Now you may have MRTG graphs to monitor traffic on interfaces and simple queues and soem other stuff.
- lots of other, those catched my eye at the first glance.
What problems to look for:
I have rather simple MT setup so I could check only part of the configuration.
- simple queues. in my case, simple queue rules were loaded in reverse order
- firewall filter rules. Some rules assotiated to incoming PPTP connection were messed (in-interface field lost information abut PPTP interfaces)
Go on, tell how you feel abuot upgrading from 2.8 to 2.9.