Community discussions

MikroTik App

futrix
just joined
Topic Author

VLAN problem

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Hello!

I am trying to setup VLAN for public wireless network with seperate IP pool and some other restrictions. I have RB450G that does routing/dhcp and Ubiquity Unifi for wireless. Unifi lets me create a seperate wireless network with vlan specified.

What I did is:
- created wireless network on Unifi (vlan 56)
- created new VLAN interface on RB (vlan-id 56) - on the same physical interface that Unifi is connected to
- added ip/dhcp server on newly created vlan interface

When I connect to this new wireless network I am unable to get IP from DHCP. When I set ip address manually I cannot ping router. In fact the packet counters on the VLAN interface is all zeros.

The primary (protected) network on Unifi is working fine.

What am I missing?

Regards,
Krzysztof

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLAN problem

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:53 pm

You've mentioned the vlan on the ubiquiti wireless network is vlan 56, is this then tagged back on the ubiquiti ethernet port?

In common vlan terms, it sounds like you want vlan 56 tagged on your ethernet port of the wireless device and untagged on the wireless network you've created.
You then want the ethernet vlan tagged on your mikrotik and connected to the ethernet port of the wireless device.

futrix
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:09 pm

It sounds like I do not understand the idea of VLAN.

What I want to acheive is to create a public, seperated wireless network.
I attached a screenshot of Unifi wireless network creator. Can you tell more after seeing it?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:49 pm

Ok hmm, based on the simple configuration options there I would assume that you're setting up that part correctly, open wireless connected back to a tagged vlan on your ethernet port and then through on the same vlan to the mikrotik however I'm not an ubiquiti whizz so someone who's more familiar might be able to shed more light on this for you.