Community discussions

MikroTik App

sloth
just joined
Topic Author

secure remote administration best practices

Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:46 pm

I want to be able to remotely administer a RB450G in order to access the usermanager webgui, and be able to make adjustments to RouterOS with WinBox.

On Linux servers, I would use a OpenVPN tunnel or a ssh tunnel with some ssh port forwarding in order to achieve this. However, I read that the ssh package doesn't support tunneling.

Also, I don't have any experience regarding ease of setup, throughput and manageability of VPN-like remote access solutions on routerboard hardware.

Which option do you use, and why? What would you recommend using in this scenario?

TonyJr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: secure remote administration best practices

Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:46 pm

I've done a basic pptp tunnel to my mum and dads rb. and added routes accordingly. its just for apple remote desktop when they have problems. i don't see why people say pptp is insecure though. unless you are a company doing vpn i guess it'll be alright. works for me :).

TonyJr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:52 pm

i use pptp with a dynamic ip. i wrote a script to make a tune when the pptp fails and also when it connects. its only been 3 days and it hasn't dropped ( I'm visiting parents and fitted RB there as pptp client - rb493g at home and it only beeped/dropped when i purposely disabled connection to get it all the wife heard the apparent machine gun sound lol from the script) all is good - the keep alive is around 200bytes to keep the tunnel active. looking at the graphs it only peaks when i access the remote network so the 200 bytes thing seems valid to me. the link never has dropped, only once due to me thats why i say never. seems VERY stable.

sloth
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Thank you for your reply but PPTP over the internet isn't secure and thus not suitable for my needs.

TheWiFiGuy

Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:41 pm

You can also do an SSH tunnel. PPTP is fine for remote management IMO ( we use it on around 400 units linked back to core routers).

Rather than PPTP simply choose a SSTP client instead.