Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

cebasso
just joined
Topic Author

Hotspot DNS never working...

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:51 am

Hello,

I really "never" did a mk hotspot configuration that works!

Incredible, but i really don't know what i'm doing wrong... i just followed tutorials that i always see people commenting: Thank you! it really work! ...

After connecting to the AP, my hotspot should redirect me to the Login Page... but it doesnt!

Everything seems to work, for example, i try to open a page example

www.google.com

Normally any Hotspot must redirect to the auth page;;; and only after logged, can navigate over web...

but if i enter MANUALLY example

192.168.30.1 (my default ip for hotspot)
Then i got the auth page... i can login and navigate... the problem seems like the firewall doesnt redirect me to the auth page automatically, but entering manually even my hotspot dns it works fine!

I followed many tutorials, all works but in all i got this problem...

I have a RB433ah and a PC based (x86)

My routerboard has routeros 4.3 and my pc is the latest routeros 5.12
Both not work... the major problem is, Hotspot doesnt redirect me to the auth page... itsnt the first time that i'm trying to make a hotspot network...

the last tutorial that i tried and seems to be good...

http://www.mustnofee.com/tutorials/52-s ... ik-hotspot

reforcing... my Hotspot work entering the Hotspot IP or DNS (choosen in setup), but never redirect me to the auth page...

and its the most important thing... users should be redirected to the auth page automatically... not put the hotspot IP or DNS manually in browser address...

After connecting and trying to ping some website i got: "Ping request could not find host google.com Please check the name and try again."
So i think my Hotspot DNS service isn't working right?

The reply should be "Request timed out", not "Ping could not find..."

What to do?
Can somebody help me?

For years i tried, and give up all the time... now i'm want it hehe

hope somebody can help me :(

Regards

cebasso
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Hotspot DNS never working...

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:36 am

Hello,

Seems to be stupid i know, but i was trying to setup my Mikrotik Server including HotSpot without an Internet connection...

In my mind, any requests to the hotspot without being authenticated, no matter if its connected to the Internet or not, the client would be redirected to the auth page... since the Hotspot service has your own DNS Server that provides local dns for unauthorized users.

So, if you are facing the same problem, trying to configure your Hotspot before connecting to the Internet... an internet connection is mandatory to hotspot work!

Thanks to Sergejs from Mikrotik Support for all help!

Regards,
Carlos

TheWiFiGuy

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:47 pm

If you need a hotspot solution that doesn't need internet access, you can create a catch all static dns using reg exp to get around this.
----------------------
Mikrotik Consultant.
MTCNA, MTWCE, MTCTCE, MTCRE, MTCINE

cebasso
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:17 pm

hmm interesting... how to?

ibermi
just joined

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Hello,

to solve the problems of DNS, you can make a DNS entry as ".*.*" as IP OF THE HOTSPOT.. to get "all" DNS working.

example in static DNS:

10.1.50.1 my.wifi.com
10.1.50.1 .*.*

This will show you the hotspot login page without internet in the router.

If you connect to hotspot and go to www.google.es will work... and show your login page.
The problem is when you try to go to www.myweb.com/something.php... as something.php doesn't exists in the /files menu, it will return a 404 error... We don't know how to fix this. Any idea? : D!
miguelbatista at ibersystems.es
Experto en redes WiFi y enlaces WiFi.

Facebook: @Ibersystems
Twitter: @Ibersystems

Expert in Wireless, Hotspots, Linux and Radius Servers

slawekk
just joined

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:20 am

Try remote ip address:

8.8.8.8 .*.*

ibermi
just joined

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:08 pm

The problem is that we do this precisely to avoid having to install Internet, and access to anyway hotspot portal, with all the url to get in the browser, for advertising theme. No access to 8.8.8.8, no internet.
miguelbatista at ibersystems.es
Experto en redes WiFi y enlaces WiFi.

Facebook: @Ibersystems
Twitter: @Ibersystems

Expert in Wireless, Hotspots, Linux and Radius Servers

Ehman

Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:49 pm

it suck, I cant find a fix for this, i have the same problem, my login page have a network status section where it tells the user if the network is up or down, but now, if the network is down, the hotspot turns in to a brick! :/

I added this trick :

Static DNS
Name: .*.*
Server: IP OF THE HOTSPOT

...and the login page loaded without a internet connection, but then everything! becomes "10.1.50.1" because of the rule :cry:

emad
just joined

Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:28 pm

it suck, I cant find a fix for this, i have the same problem, my login page have a network status section where it tells the user if the network is up or down, but now, if the network is down, the hotspot turns in to a brick! :/

I added this trick :

Static DNS
Name: .*.*
Server: IP OF THE HOTSPOT

...and the login page loaded without a internet connection, but then everything! becomes "10.1.50.1" because of the rule :cry:

Sorry, for bringing this old post up, but I am in need to redirect all [wlan] interface to login page in the hotspot without internet or lan,

I have being into this for few days with no success!

Any help would appreciated!

slawekk
just joined

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:07 am

Try to set low TTL on this DNS entry and disable it when internet is working/enable when broken. You can use netwatch pointing to provider DNS to disable/enable this DNS entry ;)