Community discussions

tyronzn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mikrotik & Ubiquiti PPPOE lock-ups

Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Hello,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced the following issues which has driven me crazy for weeks!I have tried every possible way to debug/fix issue but just cant seem to understand what is going on,let me first explain problem before i post what i have tried.

First of all i use mikrotik routerboards at each of my sites to handle OSPF,MPLS and PPPOE Server,the authentication takes place remotely on my radius server.I then use Ubiquiti Rockets as the Access Points with my client side devices running a mixture of either loco's,nano's or nanobridges all in router mode doing the pppoe dial up.The problem is after some time,sometimes a few hours the pppoe tunnel between cpe and highsite locks up,meaning the cpe is still dialed up but no traffic passes through,if i disconnect the pppoe session and let them dial up again all is well for a few hours until it happens again.

Below is what i've tried...

-Changed routerboard on highsite to a different model router (750G-450G-RB433AH) ,no difference
-Changed versions on router between 5.3,5.4,5.5,5.6,5.8,5.11 ,no difference
-changed Ubiquiti rocket (AP) to a standard mini-pci radio in routerboard ,no difference
-changed mini-pci (AP) to a mikrotik groove as the AP ,no difference
-installed a second AP to split the number of clients between both radios (10 on each AP) ,no difference

All our pppoe accounts are assigned dynamic queues to limit the speed of the connection for whatever connection they pay for,just another piece of information if required

As you can see i'm out of ideas on what to try,i've got two other sites with the exact same setup using mirkrotik routers and ubiquiti AP's which dont give a day's trouble,the config on this particular site is almost identical.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated,or at least find comfort in knowing others are having this issue.

Contacted Mikrotik and Ubiquiti and no fixes/remedies
Last edited by tyronzn on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

tyronzn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Mikrotik & Ubiquiti PPPOE lock-ups

Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:25 pm

I find hard to believe no-one is having this problem,it's blasted all over the Ubiquiti forums?

basisbit
just joined

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:25 pm

what version of Ubiquiti AirOS are you using? we use the 5.5B11 on the CPEs and they are able to connect to our RB750GL's using PPPoE for days without problems

tyronzn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:24 pm

Tried various firmwares from UBNT,even the beta's.Eventually found the issue,it's a problem with mikrotik's OSPF implementation,they said they working on a new routing package.In the meantime i've had to change to RIP.

arjan
just joined

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Hello basisbit

what version of Ubiquiti AirOS are you using? we use the 5.5B11 on the CPEs and they are able to connect to our RB750GL's using PPPoE for days without problems

Do you mean 5.5.1 beta version?

I have problems with rocket m5 with 5.5 firmware version.