Community discussions

MikroTik App

earljack
Topic Author

Issues With New SMB Feature in 5.12

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:26 am

The new SMB feature is much appreciated. Finally, I can easily setup a file sharing server anywhere I have ROS. And let me tell you, I have ROS EVERYWHERE, so this is great! A million thanks! However, I am not able to actually get it fully and reliably working yet. I am currently faced with the following issues:

1.) I cannot read certain files directly from the share. If I copy an XLS file to the share and open it Excel complains that it cannot access the file because it may be read-only. Also, EXE files cannot be executed directly from the share. Text files are no problem though. I can open them, make changes, and save them with my changes intact. The share seems to have write access with all files, so I don't know what is causing this strange behavior. I can reliably reproduce this problem.

2.) Sometimes when writing a file to a share the file becomes corrupt. I have had instances where I copied an EXE and XLS file to the share and then copied it back to my computer and then been unable to open the file because it is corrupt. I cannot reliably reproduce this problem.

3.) When copying a file to a share the RouterBoard's CPU goes to 90-100%. The issue seems to only happen if you have a direct Ethernet connection the the router so that you can max out the transfer rate of the drive. The issue doesn't happen if you are transferring to a remote RouterBoard that has a network bottleneck somewhere in between that causes the transfer rate to be slower. I can reliably reproduce this problem.

4.) When copying a file the "Creation Date" column in the ROS file list and the "Date Modified" column in Windows both show the correct time (from the router's system clock) for the file's creation date ONLY as the file is being copied. The creation date even constantly updates to the current time, down to the second, as the file is being copied. However, when the file is done copying the creation date and date modified both change to April 22/2009 14:24:48. This is for every file, every time I copy something. My system clock is set to the correct time via NTP. The creation time is correct for the file while it is being copied, but something changes it to the same incorrect time after it is done copying. What the heck is the significance of this time?!?! Please let me in on the secret. Haha is this a MikroTik easter egg? Anyway, I can reliably reproduce this problem... every darn... time...

5.) I can only copy ~30MB worth of data to a share on a USB drive that is 8GB. The total size in Windows incorrectly shows 60MB, but the free space correctly shows however much free space I have. I assume ROS is incorrectly telling the SMB service that this disk only has ~60MB of space because the RouterBoard's NAND is only ~60MB. It must be polling the wrong disk for the capacity information. I assume I can only copy ~30MB because the NAND on the RouterBoard has half of it taken up by ROS. I can reliably reproduce this problem. However, after testing this problem a little more while writing this post I think I have determined that it isn't a Samba issue. I have tried copying a few 20MB files via FTP to the usb1 folder and it can't copy more than 60MB, so I just think this is a bug in ROS that exists elsewhere. This still needs to be fixed if the SMB service is going to be worth using though, so I'll leave it as an issue in this post.

I have tested the SMB service on both a RB/750UP and RB/751U-2HnD.

I have seen issue 1,2,3, & 4 on the RB/751U-2HnD. In regards to issue 5: The total size of the share shows ~60MB, but the free space never changes from ~30MB. So I can copy as much data as the USB drive can hold. Copying files isn't an issue on teh 751, but ROS is still incorrectly reporting the capacity and free space of the drive. Also, issue 3 isn't as severe on the 751. The CPU goes to 70-80% during a full speed copy.

I have seen issue 1,3,4, & 5 on the RB/750UP.

Has anyone else run into these issues or have issues of their own to report? Please speak up! I would like to see the SMB service be the best it can be! I can also try and test any other issues people might be having just to confirm they exist.

I'm still testing this out and have just started using the SMB service a few hours ago. I'll report anymore issues I come across.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Issues With New SMB Feature in 5.12

Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:51 pm

problems 3 and 5 are not connected to SMB service.

#3 is problem with NAND storage - it is this way, and nothing at the moment can be done about that.

#5 is problem of windows not understanding linux structure of drives. your external storage is mounted as a subfolder, windows knows nothing about that, so essentially size of "/" is 60MB, size of "/share" is the size of external storage. Windows knows nothing about it.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:57 pm

1 and 2 are fixed in v5.13

bax
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:44 pm

hm ... for me SMB on x86 ros v.5.13 is not working ... I dont see share from windows, linux PC also WDTV live device ...
I was try to change workgroup , ethernet ... but still not working ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:16 am

hm ... for me SMB on x86 ros v.5.13 is not working ... I dont see share from windows, linux PC also WDTV live device ...
I was try to change workgroup , ethernet ... but still not working ?
you don't need to "see it". you need to use "map network drive" and enter the IP of the router.

bax
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:52 am

Ok Normis if you say ... :D but I prefered just ordinary browse network to work.
Anyway it was start to work after I was uploaded some file via ftp into pub dir ... but It is work only on one side of network (on my pub interface) on other side where is hotspot still dont work ...