Community discussions

syadnom
Topic Author

HWMP+ help please

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:46 am

I can't find a few answers on HWMP+ and the docs are not clear.

Is mesh-portal specifically for the upstream/internet side of the mesh? Or is it for any mesh interface that also includes non-mesh clients?

Can an interface be used in a mesh and standalone at the same time, in other words, if I put ether1 in the mesh can I also just assign ether1 an ip and use it as if it were not in the mesh without issues?

In the examples, HWMP+ doesn't play nice when there is a switch separating mesh nodes. Is this specific to nodes with RSTP?

If I have mesh nodes on oposite sides of a switch, would it be better to EoIP tunnel over the switch and add that EoIP interface to the mesh and NOT the interfaces directly connected to the mesh?

dtoffo
Trainer
Trainer

Re: HWMP+ help please

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:36 am

syadnom, did you solve your doubts?
or is there any other expert on similar solutions? (maybe a Mikrotik support... Uldis?)

I am thinking about the same topology.
My access points will be 751g-2hnd, all of them wired to a 1200 that will be the mesh portal.

I don't know how many switches will be between the access points but I want a roaming user to go through the whole warehouse without disconnections (2 or 3 ping packets are acceptable moving on, when it stands the connection must be stable on the better signal)

Each access point will have at least 2 SSID, one for guests (an hotspot network managed from the 1200) and one for the production network. I am wondering (not yet tried anything, I'll try next week ,if I'll have time) which is the best solution, where best is:
- more stable connetions
- best signal for everyone
- less interference

I never tried hwmp+ before, but seems to me a good, reading documentation, but maybe I misunderstood...

I am thinking on this:

- an eoip interface connecs each 751 with the 1200, and I don't mind anymore about intermediate switches
- on each 751 I'll have 2 ssid -> 2 hwmp -> 2 vlans over the eoip
- on the 1200 I'll have hwmp (as portal), one connecting all the "vlan1" of the eoip tunnels and the other connecting all the "vlan2"
- on the 1200 one of the hwmp will have an hostpot and I will route the traffic to internet for guests
- the other hwmp will connect to the local network

If in theory this can work, my doubts are:
1. to link the right hwmp to the local network should I put the network as a port of that hwmp or I'll better put hwmp and the network in a bridge?
2. should I put each 751 on a different channel or use the same for all
3. if the same is better, will I force the same mac address on all (Virtual)AP or is better to have different mac addresses

The latter question is strange, I know, but I would like to minimize the configuration differencies on access points and minimize the effort to put the right channel to void interferencies, and I read somewere in the forum someone saying that using same channel and mac there will be a better roaming (naturally I am sure that non-wireless links must have different mac addresses)

any help or suggestion will be appreciated... I'll pay with karma... :)

syadnom
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:20 am

syadnom, did you solve your doubts?
yes, in that HWMP+ on mikrotik is not a functional mesh option.

BUT, you do not need a mesh, it isn't the solution to the situation you describe. You only need WDS links between access points. You can use WDS dynamic to automated this if you like. Make sure that your wireless ESSIDs are bridged to the ports that link your APs, or That they are bridged into VLANs that are bridged on the LAN ports that connect your APs.

Thats it.

syadnom
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 am

oh, and RSTP on each bridge

dtoffo
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks for the respose, but I am a bit confused: WDS isn't only for wireless links? I'll have wired links (vlan or ethernet) between access points.
I don't need ot propagate the wireless AP to AP, they all will have only roaming clients, and this is why I looked to hwmp that if I undestood can mix ethernet and wireless links.
this will be my map... extended horizontally with other Access Points (rb751)
map.png
you say hwmp is somewhat broken or not appropriate for my needs, but what's the benefit of wds?

thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

syadnom
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:37 pm

You need the APs to be connected on layer 2 to allow client roaming. WDS allows/improves roaming because multiple APs are aware of the clients connected to each (over the WDS) and can hand off a client. The client says connected to the same AP as far as it is concerned, which makes for a fast roam.

Now that roaming is handled on the APs, you need to make sure that the router has consistent connections to client devices. This means layer2 connectivity to the APs, through to the clients. You must bridge the APs and the WDS links into the ethernet so that layer2 is persistent. Now the MAC of the client to the IP from the DHCP server is maintained.

Now, the bridge and the WDS links will create bridge loops. You need to use RSTP on all the bridges to resolve the loops.

so, HWMP+ isn't at all what you are looking for, it doesn't solve any need you have really. HWMP+ would be basically a replacement for RSTP in your scenario. RSTP works great in small networks.

syadnom
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:43 pm

I would add that in the image you posted, you don't have a single mesh/multi-hop link. No mesh topology would be useful for you.