Community discussions

MikroTik App

ulink
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

One Customer One BW Level Multiple Locations

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:45 am

Setting up leased line replacement services via wireless and need to identify a method for limiting the speed limits for traffic between the business locations. I have read up on simple ques where this can be done when you have a mikrotik device at each location however, I am wanting to control this from the core router keeping the only device at the customer location being the wireless CPE.
Example:
One customer with 3 locations
Each location has a CPE connected to the same single AP. Customer accesses the Internet at say 1megabit but can pass traffic from one office to the other at 5megabits. This 5 megabit connection would be available between each office. Not a shared capacity.

I have the Internet access portion taken care of with my billing system so really just need to identify how best to que traffic destined from office A to office B or C with a specific bandwidth service. And control that capability from the core Mikrotik.

Thanks

bdennie

Re: One Customer One BW Level Multiple Locations

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:22 am

I use simple queue's to limit inter network traffic for VPN's frequently for my customers. You should be able to put in a simple queue with office A's IP address and speed. This would then limit office B and C to to talk to office A to the speed you have selected. But have a few questions if this is not what you are looking for.

Where are you doing the shaping to the internet? If you are shaping the internet on the same router you are shaping the Connection between offices then this would cause a problem. The simple queue also requires the MT router to also be the default gateway for these offices. You need to make sure the traffic from the offices routes through the MT router for the queue to take affect.

Questions please ask.

Simple queues work very well.

ulink
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: One Customer One BW Level Multiple Locations

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:00 am

Thanks for chiming in bdennie
Net traffic is managed on a separate device that ties in to my billing server. Services are setup on the billing server and the bandwidth management device handles the service they are subscribed to. Keep in mind, this is all theory right now. I have the bandwidth management device but still assembling the billing server.
In any event, the wireless CPE will be receiving an IP via a pool I setup for this POP. With all customers connected to that POP pulling from the same pool, how would you approach doing this with dynamic IP's? Perhaps hostnames or MAC addresses? Looking at my 450G in front of me, there is no MAC specific field for Target or Destination labels.
Suppose I can setup que's for each service I plan to offer. Example may be 1megabit, 3megabit and 5megabit LAN services. Then apply static LAN IP's from my pool. Ideally, any one of the three offices can have a specific bandwidth speed to one another. This may be A to B or B to C or C to A etc...

So you do this queuing from your core router?