Community discussions

MikroTik App

hci
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

WCCP Support

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:22 am

Can we get WCCP support in Mikrotik? It would make interfacing with caching boxes much easier. Some caching servers now support streaming media as well.

jager
Trainer
Trainer

Re: WCCP Support

Sat May 19, 2012 9:02 pm

Well, if I may raise the same question....

Currently, I`m working in Freetown, Sierra Leone. I`m rapidly changing the whole network from Proxim and Ubiquity equipment to "MikroTik ONLY"! :) It is not a problem with wireless devices, we are here almost done with my plan to use only MikroTik.
Also, one HP Proliant G5 server with 8 cores and 2Gb of RAM running ROS is the core router. It`s load is absolutely small, and I`m very happy with this. I plan to use the same ROS as main PPPoE concentrator in a next week or max two.

All this sounds nice. BUT! In Sierra Leone there is no fiber optic links to outside world. It should come soon, but until that happens, the whole country is limited to VSAT only. Naturally, it is good to save as much bandwidth as possible on VSAT as it is too way expensive.

The core router here, before I arrived to Freetown, 3 months ago, was Cisco 7206. Unfortunately, I`m still unable to get rid of the too expensive and useless Cisco router. It sits between my core MikroTik router and the satellite modem. The reason for this is very simple: I NEED WCCP SUPPORT! We have 4 caches that uses wccp, and therefore, I`m still forced to be "cisco friendly". Caches are great, they even cache YouTube video and much more.

Adding wccp support to ROS will for sure help a lot, not only for me.

Can we, maybe, expect such support to be added soon?

I`m a big MikroTik lover, that will be absolutely fantastic...
Mikrotik Certified Trainer

russman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: WCCP Support

Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:12 am

+1 Bump on needing WCCP support