Community discussions

MikroTik App

kobuki
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RB450G strange 100% spikes on CPU resource graph

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:23 am

I've employed an RB450G in a datacenter recently, and experiencing strange 100% CPU usage spikes on the CPU graph. They always last a single tick only, and the SNMP monitoring tool sampling the same board (with more frequent, 2-minute intervals) shows no signs of them. There are no other kinds of resource spikes, no extra traffic or measurable suspicious activity. Below is a sample attached containing the present day's daily graph. Should I create a support ticket? The router is otherwise functioning perfectly. Running on 5.14.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zebble
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: RB450G strange 100% spikes on CPU resource graph

Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:23 am

We had something similar happen with our monitoring tool. The tool would grab all SNMP values except the CPU first, which would load the CPU. We fixed this by changing the order of what SNMP values were polled, polling CPU first to avoid this issue.

Not sure if this is related, as your issue seems to be sporadic. Ours was fairly consistent.

Toiletbowl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:00 am

i suggest use cacti for network monitoring :D

kobuki
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm using Zabbix for the moment, and it doesn't influence the SNMP readings at all (CPU load or anything else). I'm suspecting RouterOS is misbehaving at certain periods. I might need to forget the built-in graphing completely if it's so unreliable.