Community discussions

MikroTik App

Wyoming
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Radius Attribute for Local Address in PPPoE Profiles

Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:50 pm

Is there a Radius Attribute that sets the local Address in the PPP Profiles. I know there is one for Remote address but I need one to set the gateway address for the Users. Also is there one for DNS server? DNS is not as big of a deal but it would be nice to have.

Thanks in advance.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:50 am

Local IP address is determined automatically, thus no attribute for it as it is dealt with by the NAS and not AAA.

DNS:
MS-Primary-DNS-Server
MS-Secondary-DNS-Server

Wyoming
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:45 am

Well the problem I am running into is that I have two different local addresses on the same interface. If I leave the local address field blank then it won't work. If I build to servers and set one of the Two IPs in each of them then it will always assign the ip of the last server in the list as the local address. I am just wondering if there is a way that radius can tell the mikrotik which server to pick so that it gets the correct local address.

Thanks for the DNS attributes as those will come in hand once I have this figured out better.

Thanks

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:02 pm

Hmmm... You should rethink your design IMHO.

There is a solution for this, but you'd have to manage your IP Addressing with MT IP Pools (Which I don't particularly like when I'm using Radius).

Create a IP Pool, use the PPP Profile for your dialups.

Read the MT Documentation about I believe, Framed-IP-Address. I haven't checked the docs myself - feel free to do so, but I believe you can tell the MT which PPP Profile to use for Address management via Radius. Then your Local-Address will be picked up from the PPP Profile, as would your remote IP, but your problem should be solved.

From the MT Docs (http://www.mikrotik.com/docs/ros/2.9/guide/aaa_radius)
[qoute]
Framed-Pool - IP pool name (on the router) from which to get IP address for the client. If specified, overrides Framed-IP-Address
[/qoute]

Thats basically what you need to use, instead of Radius Managing the IP Addresses via Framed-IP-Address.

Cheers.

Wyoming
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:53 pm

The only problem is that the local pool attribute changes the client address to use the pool not the local address. I have looked and I have not been able to find any radius attribute that allows you to select which ppp profile to use. If I can find that then all my problems will be solved.

Thanks

Wyoming
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:58 pm

Anyone else have any ideas????

Thanks

Wyoming
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:55 pm

I have found this attribute, Ascend-Client-Gateway, but is shows it is only supported for hotspot users. Is this ever going to be supported for PPP users?

I believe this is what I need but it doesn't appear to be supported.

Thanks

Wyoming
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:24 pm

I was just looking and if you create users on the mikrotik it gives you the ability to select which profile that user will use. Why is this not supported in radius to allow you to send which profile a user will use? This is exactly what I need but I can't find anything in radius to support this.

Thanks again for any help anyone can give me as I am running out of Ideas here.

riaanmaree
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Radius Attribute for Local Address in PPPoE Profiles

Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:49 pm

We also need this feature.

RADIUS replies required:
- local-address
- dns-server
- reply to add dynamic interface to a specific VRF routing table to create L3VPNs
- ppp-profile

We are actally at a stage of having to make a decision if we need to change router brands at all our highsites because of this limited functionality. We currenlt have to make use of ppp>secrets to configure some services, and would much rather do this from our central RADIUS server.

Buganah
just joined

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:22 pm

We also need this feature.

RADIUS replies required:
- local-address
- dns-server
- reply to add dynamic interface to a specific VRF routing table to create L3VPNs
- ppp-profile

We are actally at a stage of having to make a decision if we need to change router brands at all our highsites because of this limited functionality. We currenlt have to make use of ppp>secrets to configure some services, and would much rather do this from our central RADIUS server.
hi all
hate to wake a long dead post but i am facing the same issue and i was wondering if the above attrbs has been integrated ?!!!

riaanmaree
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:37 am

Still not possible. We have to make use of Secrets and different PPP Profiles across over 70x routers to do what we need to do without this feature. We would much rather prefer to assign local addresses, DNS, profile, etc using RADIUS replies...

maznu
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:58 am

Similarly, it'd be great if we could use RADIUS to specify the profile to use for a PPP/VPN connection. There's already a Mikrotik-Group attribute which would be meaningless on a PPP session. Could MikroTik re-use that for profile name on PPP?

sparker
just joined

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:31 am

It would be nice all the same on the RADIUS for PPPoE clients to issue an attribute Local-Address

riaanmaree
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:07 pm

This would be so simple to implement for Mikrotik. 1 or 2 days work at most.

Feels like bigger operators are being ignored...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk