MikroTik App

alphalt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Need general idea on network configuration with Metarouter

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:14 am

Hi,

I want to use Metarouter (OpenWRT image) on my routerboard, but I want to have some good ideas on how to do it. I want that all traffic comming from/to public on ether1 of my ROS firstly go to Metarouter and then reach ROS. Well I want to do it as it were two physical routers: WAN connected to OpenWRT and then from OpenWRT to ROS. Is it possible to do that and what can you suggest ? As I understand from wiki, using physical interfaces on Metarouter is not a good idea so I should use virtual ones. So please give some advice of how my metarouter config should look like. Well I just need some good idea. I don't need how to on configuring interfaces. Can someone assist me here ?

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Need general idea on network configuration with Metarout

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:24 am

You can assign physical wan interface directly to metarouter, but do not use it in host router.
Then add another virtual interface which you can bridge on host (for bridged network) or add an ip address (for routed network).

tinka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:33 am

Sorry wrong post answered.

alphalt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi,

Thank you vry much for the answer. Yes, nice idea ! I'm just wondering about packet flow... Anyway physically ether1 will be on ROS, so will packets enter INPUT chain ? I want to bypass somehow input chain and go directly to Metarouter and only the, after Metarouter I would like packets to pass INPUT chain if packets are destined to router off course. How it will be with the packet flow ?

alphalt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:27 pm

ok, I've made some tests on this weekend and I have some questions still. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all packets destined to the host router will go to input chain despite that ether1 is bound to Metarouter. So as I understand I still need to redirect all packets to Metarouter if they are destined to host router. Ok, when computers from internal network initiates some connection then everything works as expected. Other thing is what to do if ether1 has dynamic address ? I just don't know what address to set on Metarouter's interface which is bound to ether1, but I still need to set some address in order to have some packet flow. So how can I solve this issue ? Please give me some ideas as it is very important for me. I can't find more information by making more tests. I really need to know those two things:
1. What is packet flow when Metarouter interface is bound to physical host interface ?
2. Which address I need to set on metarouter's interface which is bound to physical host router interface which by itself has dynamic IP assigment ?

alphalt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi,

Please people help me somehow. I really have no idea on what it will happen to packet flow when Metarouter's interface is bound to physical host router's interface. I can't find much info in Wiki about that. Can someone just maybe add some red line on original packet flow diagram, how packet will reach Metarouter if interface is bound to physical interface.