Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cue
Topic Author

External SIP server. No incoming sound.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:01 pm

We have a SIP service from our ISP.
The SIP server hosted with them so our phones (8 of them) need to connect through our router to their server.

But when I tested it my voice was going out to the one I called, but I could not hear anything. Except at first, I could hear them for about 20 seconds, but then nothing more.

Any ideas?

Mohnki
just joined

External SIP server. No incoming sound.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:10 pm

I have a VoIP exchange in my network that connects to an external sip server. I had a similar problem that I was able to fix by turning on "qualify" on the exchange. If you are connecting directly to the sip server maybe they can turn it on and it might fix your problems.

Hope this helps...

JJCinAZ

Re: External SIP server. No incoming sound.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:31 pm

The 20 second timeout sounds like one of the two SIP partners (device or server in this case) is not receiving all the SIP messages and a SIP timer fires, terminating the call; or a NAT connection is broken on the RTP stream after 20 seconds.

Here are some things to try (not in any particular order):

1) Turn off the SIP NAT helper:
/ip firewall service-port disable sip
2) Ensure you are allowing all traffic outbound from the LAN to the Internet and all "established" connections back to the LAN.

3) If you are trying to load balance among multiple Internet connections, then you have to sure all traffic to/from the SIP devices use the same connection (there are ways around this, but it violates the KISS principle).

4) Ensure you have Connection Tracking enabled.

5) Make sure your provider supports NAT'ed devices with proper keepalives. You can detect this by watching the connection table and seeing at least 8 UDP "connections", usually to port 5060. These timers should be getting reset by a periodic keep-alive being sent from the phone to the SIP server and/or vice versa. Here is an example of the connection table showing the tracking of 15 SIP sessions from 15 devices on a LAN to a single SIP server:
3-11-2012 11-19-29 AM.png
6) Disable any DST-NAT's for "SIP" ports. If the provider truly supports NAT'ed devices, then no DST-NAT will be normally required. If your provider doesn't support NAT'ed devices, then either find one that does or you'll have to come up with a more complex solution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cue
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:06 am

Thank you for your excellent information.
I will try it today and see.

Cue
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:37 am

Forgot to ask.
2) Ensure you are allowing all traffic outbound from the LAN to the Internet and all "established" connections back to the LAN.
How do I allow this?

CyberT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:07 am

Forgot to ask.
How do I allow this?

Ip -firewall - connection - tcp-state

andressis2k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:07 pm

If you've got any Ubiquiti device between your phones and internet, be sure to disable de 4 check-boxes below NAT (SIP, H323....)

Also, as JJCinAZ said, disble NAT helper

IP > Firewall > Service ports and disable SIP. If you use H323 protocol, disable it also.

If you can, use a different local port for each device.

We had weeks of problem and, finally, installed a RB750G into the VoIP Provider datacenter, maked PPtP tunnel, and routing all.

Now, we've still private address, but there's no NAT between us and VoIP provider.

We've run it for years, and no problem at all (with more than 200 VoIP users)

coffeecoco
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:23 am

If you've got any Ubiquiti device between your phones and internet, be sure to disable de 4 check-boxes below NAT (SIP, H323....)

Also, as JJCinAZ said, disble NAT helper

IP > Firewall > Service ports and disable SIP. If you use H323 protocol, disable it also.

If you can, use a different local port for each device.

We had weeks of problem and, finally, installed a RB750G into the VoIP Provider datacenter, maked PPtP tunnel, and routing all.

Now, we've still private address, but there's no NAT between us and VoIP provider.

We've run it for years, and no problem at all (with more than 200 VoIP users)
Hi I follow this, do you how ever know what exactly mikrotik sip helper does in the backround?
like Sip ALG i understood this to be it modify the packet so that it works properly thu nat
can you shed some light?
is there any secret scripts that hacks it up and makes it work?

JJCinAZ

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:36 am