Community discussions

MikroTik App

dominicbatty
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

IPv6 Routing Mark in Firewall > Mangle Rules

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi, does anyone know if there is a plan to implement the "action=mark-routing" and "new-connection-mark=<routing mark> in IPv6, firewall, mangle rules.

Our IP services are served by multiple links so we round robin packets up the links to the ISP who provide us with native IPv6 addresses. It's just a bit of a shame that I cannot implement IPv6 at the moment without foregoing the resilience provided by our multiple links as I cannot get the traffic balanced without using routing marks. I'm not sure if the routing marks are not in there as there is an alternative way of doing this in IPv6 or if it had been missed/is in progress.

If I implement IPv6 for our networks and then users become used to it all working fine but without resilience then if and when a link fails I'll be left with them all moaning at me, I'd prefer just to do it once I can make it resilient and mark the routes.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dominic.

dominicbatty
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: IPv6 Routing Mark in Firewall > Mangle Rules

Thu May 03, 2012 1:55 am

any news .... this is a really important feature that gives us increased bandwidth and resilience over our ADSL circuits, was it just missed from the IPv6 implementation, is it removed for good reason or is it planned to be done in the future.

liquidcz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi, im looking for the same solution. Any idea how can i do this?

dominicbatty
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:52 pm

no real way to achieve this without this functionality. I'm going to use an L2TP tunnel over my IPv4 bonded link to tunnel my IPv6 in for the time being until this can be sorted.

It's a shame, was hoping to be live for World IPv6 day today but alas, no joy.

Dominic.

liquidcz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:19 pm

Bad news at IPv6 Launch date. :-(

I had to figure out how can i make IPV6 DUAL WAN Mikrotik router. :-(

dominicbatty
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:23 pm

I actually per packet round robin my IPv4 traffic up my three ADSL lines to Andrew and Arnold, equally they per packet round robin the data down to me in the same way. To achieve this I have to use mangle to mark each packet per block of 3 with router1, route2 and route3 then the routing table picks up the right packet and sends it up the correct line.

I think if you just wanted to do per connection balancing it will support that by just specifying two gateways in the routing configuration for IPv6 but I've never tested this.

Cheers, Dominic.

liquidcz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:29 pm

Hmm.. i had to figure it out by Mikrotik Metarouter for the second IPV6 connection. Not so clean solution, but it do what i need.

gr0mit

Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:12 pm

bump.
I'm also having issues with the lack of ipv6 routing mark. any ideas please?

dominicbatty
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:46 pm

Hi gr0mit,

When I trialled this I setup an L2TP tunnel to A&A over IPv4 so the tunnel IPv4 traffic was marked and thus round robin balanced up multiple lines then I routed my IPv6 traffic through this L2TP tunnel hence by the nature of going through the tunnel operated the same way and was load balanced. Obviously there is some overhead for the tunnel etc.

It's all such a shame given A&A support IPv6 so effectively and we're all scratching around trying to find a way to make RouterOS do something it's always done. Anyone with resilience/bonded lines on IPv4 using this method basically has to accept they cannot move to native IPv6 without a load of hassle.

gr0mit

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:22 pm

So when are Mikrotik going to realise that IPv6 is not just an awkward bolt-on, but a wholesale replacement for IPv4? Coz I can't mass deploy IPv6 on Mikrotik routers at the moment....

dominicbatty
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:26 pm

bump, same problem, bit rubbish!

bazzer
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:31 am

I asked about route marking for IPv6 over 2 years ago and still no sign of it. http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 40#p225402 Fobbed off then and still being fobbed off now.

nest
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:55 pm

I can't move any of our clients that are currently using bonded ADSL lines over to IPv6 for this very reason, the lack of routing marks on IPv6 :-( Plus, time is running out.

dominicbatty
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:32 pm

Yeah, it's such a shame that something this important has been missed from IPv6 with no real acceptance or indication by Mikrotik of this being any sort of problem or issue they plan to address. Ignorance doesn't make problems go away, it just annoys people. They should indicate their plans and why they are not addressing this as an urgent issue.

1. We're not going to do it - we can buy something else or accept IPv6 isn't an option for us.
2. We're going to do it by X we can buy something else or choose to wait for X
3. Keep quiet and hope that this IPv6 thing is simply a fad which before too long will stop being so talked about and the problem might just go away ... is this even an option, it's certainly something that will reduce the customer base if nothing else.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:36 pm

IPv6 policy routing requires rework of the routing so it will be possible to add this feature only after new routing comes out.

dominicbatty
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Your reply is gratefully received, this topic commenced in March 2012 and I think there are some earlier posts on the topic as well. There are obviously a lot of frustrated users left wondering how/what they were going to do to implement IPv6 but this now gives some clarity.

Are you stating that the IPv6 implementation of the new routing does have routing marks included in it from the outset?

nickshore
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:12 pm

IPv6 policy routing requires rework of the routing so it will be possible to add this feature only after new routing comes out.
Yes but this "new routing" was promised for RouterOS version 6 and yet IPv6 policy routing
is not in the release candidate.

What is the timescale for "new routing" ?

Nick.

darthjysky
just joined

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:00 pm

This is very needed feature! Is there any time scale on this?

omidkosari
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:54 pm

This feature is a must

NetTraptor
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:46 pm

Yes Please! Not even in the 6RCx

THG

Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:21 am

Look what I found in RouterOS v6.1. :)

ros code

ipv6 firewall mangle add new-routing-mark=

omidkosari
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:33 am

Don't tell to anyone . it seems mikrotik does not like to introduce it's features :lol:

AnBordSnip
just joined

Fri May 09, 2014 4:38 pm

Look what I found in RouterOS v6.1. :)

ros code

ipv6 firewall mangle add new-routing-mark=
I can see there is the ability to add routing mark, however there is no "action" to "mark-routing" so that it is used.

In addition there is no option for "routing-mark" under "ipv6 route add"

I'm using v6.12, am I missing something?

warlord
just joined

Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:36 am

I just ran into this today. I have multiple IPv6 tunnels that provide different networks, so I need to be about to route out the correct tunnel based on the source address. Running 6.18 and this action still doesn't exist under ipv6 firewall mangle. (Mostly posting a "me too" so I get emails in case this ever gets solved). Too bad, I was hoping that my move to RouterOS from dd-wrt would give me this functionality. :(

bazzer
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:28 pm

I asked about route marking for IPv6 over 2 years ago and still no sign of it. http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 40#p225402 Fobbed off then and still being fobbed off now.

4 years on... Would Mikrotik like to make a comment on the time scale now for this implementation?

bazzer
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:15 pm

The silence is deafening!

bazzer
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:55 pm

Yep, me again...
...any sign of this making it into v6.xx or is now on hold till v7 or 8 or 9?

dominicbatty
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:12 pm

it's already a difficult push for people to move to IPv6, however, it's going to be impossible if the IPv6 facilities are not at the very most basic level equivalent to the IPv4 facilities, you would assume addressing this issue would be one of the most important things facing Mikrotik at the moment?

NAB
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:51 pm

Just to add a 'me too', we've managed to avoid needing this for a while, but now we do. I'd be grateful if MT could provide the merest hint of a timescale. Please? Pretty please? Pretty please with sugar on?

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:16 pm

v6.30.2 - still no routing-marks support :(

AnBordSnip
just joined

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:13 pm

Surely this will move things along:

http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy36 ... os-9-apps/

nest
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:23 pm

I doubt it.

It has been said many times by various MT staff. Once they stop using the routing engine embedded in the Linux kernel and rewrite all their own routing code, they can then add the code to support IPV6 Routing marks. Yes, we were first promised it was coming in v6. Now we're being told v7. Like all companies, they have constantly shifting priorities which are led from a number of external and internal factors. So it will be released when they're ready and they believe it's stable (ish!). :)

Sadly however it's not just the lack of routing mark functionality that is stopping us using IPV6 in our WISP. There is also missing support with the PPPoE Server and Radius which means we can only provide a IPV4 address to the CPE. Until full IPV6 Radius Attribute functionality is working, we are stuck with using just IPV4 at the moment. :(

bazzer
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:36 pm

Oops.. missed the 5th anniversary of requesting this option/feature.

Still no real indication of when this will happen and yet it was said to be included in the re-written route engine. Maybe developer resources need to be channelled towards this goal instead prolonging the arrival of this fabled version by over pimping old code base?

NAB
Trainer
Trainer

Wed May 18, 2016 11:37 am

One year ago I requested:
I'd be grateful if MT could provide the merest hint of a timescale.
and still no sight or sound of what is fast becoming a deal-breaker for MT kit. We're now in the process of quoting for a rollout which must include IPv6 and are going to have to heavily caveat our proposal...

bazzer
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:02 pm

Happy 6th anniversary :-)

mbeauverd
just joined

Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:31 pm

Any news about that ???

bazzer
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:04 am

Any news about that ???
I don't think you'd appreciate a repeat of the standard reply. Something about v7?

mbeauverd
just joined

Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:02 pm

Not very much support on this forum indeed...

hacknix
just joined

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:36 pm

I just found out I can't do this, :-(

I have had a lot of this recently. It's a shame, I've been a fan of Mikrotik for a while, but I might just have to move back to what I did before: building my own linux-based routers.

bazzer
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:45 pm

7th anniversary is fast approaching (3rd September)! :lol:

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:02 am

Well, FWIW, the OP's concern really wouldn't be fixing what he thinks it's fixing by having policy-based routing on IPv6 because it would on;y handle the egress forwarding - i.e. he can load balance the outbound traffic all day long, but his ISP is the one responsible for load-balancing the return traffic. In fact, if the ISP will do that for inbound, and you're like most ISPs where inbound is like 6x the outbound anyway, the chances are that a simple floating static backup route would take care of everything the OP wanted to do.

For those not understanding why - it's because ROS can't do NAT on IPv6 so simply forwarding packets out one connection won't cause the replies to come back in the same interface.

That doesn't mean that PBR isn't a very useful tool that should be implemented anyway despite the lack of NAT. . . .

bazzer
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:26 am

OP wanted uplink Round Robin packet balancing. I can not see where NAT was ever mentioned. The concept of what the OP was to utiise all available bandwidth by (if need be) a single data stream and not ECMP. OP stated they had native IPv6.
I am aware of the method the OP is reqesting as i constructed the original IPv4 config for said ISP and it was based on PBR.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:16 pm

OP wanted uplink Round Robin packet balancing.
Yes, but my impression was that the goal was to balance the inbound traffic. The only way that would happen based on outbound load balancing is if the src address is natted to the egress interface. The other concern was redundancy, which can be handled in straightforward ways w/o PBR.

bazzer
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:39 pm

The ISP handles the downlink aggregation, again using RR. As for fail over or redundancy, simple, what ever link is left carries the lot. I ran this method of link aggregation combining 4 ADSL circuits for over 4 years until VDSL came along. Again I did 2 aggregated VDSL circuits using this method with a successful 150mbit down link and 38mbits uplink . Both circuits rated at 80/20. No NAT required. I gather the ISP has updated the end user wiki to now include a NAT'd config but alas IPV6 will still not be possible using the PBR method without running through a 6to4

HellKern
just joined

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:20 am

Hi guys, i had same issue - two ISP's, routing marks and ipv6 via 6in4 tunnel, so what i made - IP > Routes > Rules > added rule for dst. address=%hurracane electric 6in4 gateway%, action=lookup, table=%routing mark for corresponding ISP% and tunnel is start to work.
Hope it will be helpful =)

bazzer
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:43 pm

Hope it will be helpful =)
Indeed it is but not for the OT. You are only route marking IPv4 in this instance. IPv6 route marking is still not available.

_saik0
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:20 am

Still nothing? Same with v6 NAT. transparent proxy and IPS/IDS implementation depend on this.
Iptables has that feature for a long time, i don't understand why exactly ROS7 is necessary.

bazzer
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:52 pm

7th anniversary is fast approaching (3rd September)! :lol:
8th anniversary!
Meaning 8 BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP - and one for luck - *BUMP*!

candlerb
just joined

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:47 pm

Having had IPv6 via a tunnel broker for a long time, I now have another ISP connection with native IPv6.

It would be *sooooo* helpful if I could policy-route packets with the old IPv6 source range down the tunnel, and packets with the new source range down the native connection. It would allow me to deploy the new addresses incrementally onto each server. Indeed, the servers could keep both old and new addresses and I'd have redundancy for inbound connections (with the tunnel bound to the old ISP connection).

The other issue is lack of fasttrack on IPv6. I can happily fill the new link on IPv4, but IPv6 maxes out the CPU :-(

bazzer
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:49 pm

Happy 9th anniversary in 4 days time!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

blurrybird

Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:25 am

Waiting for this and L7 protocol support before I can roll out v6.

eliasbats
just joined

Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:48 pm

Any news on this? Is it going to be at least at RouterOS v7?

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:31 pm

Already supported in v7 beta

bazzer
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:08 pm

oops.. I missed the 10th anniversary :-D

evgenij
just joined

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:26 pm

Does anyone know if this feature is coming soon?

bazzer
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:29 pm

Yes

RcRaCk2k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:05 pm

So we have to upgrade to v7 BETA to get PBR working on IPv6?

Is it save to run v7 BETA on a provider network yet?

bazzer
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:07 pm

So we have to upgrade to v7 BETA to get PBR working on IPv6?

Is it save to run v7 BETA on a provider network yet?
ROFL

osc86
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:22 pm

/ipv6/firewall/mangle> add chain=prerouting connection-mark=C_PR_VPN action=mark-routing passthrough=no new-routing-mark=VRF-VPN
input does not match any value of new-routing-mark

is this still not working in 7.1rc4, or am I doing something wrong?

bazzer
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:31 pm

Happy 11th anniversary :-D

osc86
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:39 am

Looking at the v7 Routing Protocol Status Page, it should already work, but how? or is this only the input matcher? routing-mark=abc action=xyz.
But even this doesn't make sense, because when we can't add routing-marks how should we match on them..
2021-09-24 at 08.21.23.png
Edit: Answer from support: "Bug will be fixed in one of the next versions."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.