savagedavid
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

"Dynamic" DNS servers

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:24 am

Please note from 5.13 changelog
*) dhcp client - revert DNS settings on dhcp client disable;

What this means is if you get IP details from DHCP it wont write it into your fixed DNS settings. Instead it creates a "dynamic-servers" entry with the DNS servers listed there. It will not show up in Winbox under IP>DNS and it will be removed when the DHCP client is disconnected/removed/disabled

See screenshot for demonstration
dhcp-client-dns.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Basdno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: "Dynamic" DNS servers

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:06 am

I posted this one earlier in New Ros 5.14 thread, but got no response. Maybe u have encounterd this as well??

Have any1 else encountered a DNS problem with new Clients running 5.13 or 5.14 on the local network.

I have clients with the Wlan1 in station/NAT and then have a local network and DHCP-server on ether1.

Client gets its public IP- via a DHCP-client on Wlan1, from our DHCP-server in the ISP network, that also hands out the DNS-entries. All is good no problem there.

Until ROS 5.11(I cant remember having the issue in a 5.11 client), it was jolly good, but I have been handing out some clients latly with 5.13 and 5.14 and all of a sudden the routers/computers in the local network doesnt get DNS untill I manually put the DNS-adresses in to the IP/DNS settings of the Client.

This even if I check in terminal with IP DNS Print, I can c that the addresses are visual there, and entered as dynamical DNS-adresses, but no router/PC behind the NAT/On the local network gets its DNS entries untill I manually enter them into the DNS settings of the client.

Its just as if the Local DHCP-server doesnt aknowledge that the Dynamic adresses are there, and thou not handing them on to the Router/PCs on the local network?!

Any1 else havin this problem?

Kind regards!
Last edited by Basdno on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

russman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:48 pm

I'm setting up a new Mikrotik router as well and the GUI for DNS is completely changed and lacking the "Settings" button for setting your upstream DNS servers. Not sure why this is but I guess I'll have to add them from terminal, wait, its taking the command but the config doesn't show the change is made.

Basdno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Update:
Just had this problem again with a customer yesterday, forgot to set the static DNS! Worked fine untill atleast ROS 5.11, and I have not changed anything in my setup script since.
Very annoying, if I don't remember to set the DNS static in the client before I deliver it to my customer, the customer will get IP and "IP-internet connection" but no webbrowsing as it needs the DNS to resolve. Ergo most customers call me and say(Yell;) :"My internet connection doesn't work!" .

Any chance this bug will be addressed in new Ros 5.15 ?

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:24 am

I'm setting up a new Mikrotik router as well and the GUI for DNS is completely changed and lacking the "Settings" button for setting your upstream DNS servers. Not sure why this is but I guess I'll have to add them from terminal, wait, its taking the command but the config doesn't show the change is made.
It's not missing. when you go to dns, it goes directly into the settings box immediately instead of having to push settings. that first line that says "servers" is where you put the dns server.

you can push the static button to go to the screen where you manually enter dns entries.

no need to use the command line.