MUM Europe 2020

bigguns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

balancing 5xWAN's 50/5Mbps with QoS 60+users hardware needs

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:10 pm

Hi there,
I've been struggling to find a method to loadbalance 5x 50/5Mbps WANs whilst using RB's (at the moment using RB1100ahx2).
Not only that but I need a suitable QoS system which will work with the above.

The system will have around 60-65 users attached by a router (something like a SOHO MK or Ubnt Airrouter). So I believe using something like PPPoA/PPPoE + MAC to control access to the network using radius manager 3 (DMA soft labs).
I will be using internal IP's for the whole network and need to employ client separation to prevent snooping.

Basically I need some help, with the hardware to try and minimise the equipment needed. So could someone recommend suitable RB's or say if i need x86 system to run this.
If you can think of a better method of setting up the network to allow more efficient usage of CPU power please let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Re: balancing 5xWAN's 50/5Mbps with QoS 60+users hardware ne

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Your drawing looks good. I wouldn't see why that wouldn't work.
C.Brown

cbrown[at]ravenrocknetworks.com
MTCNA - MTCRE - MTCWE - MTCTCE
MTCSE - TRAINER-0179

bigguns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: balancing 5xWAN's 50/5Mbps with QoS 60+users hardware ne

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:12 pm

Well, its not so much the drawing issue its the hardware. At the moment I'm running a hotspot on load balancing across 3 WANS and with 2 users CPU usage is at 50%.
I've never actually used PPPoE/PPPoA so but i assume the overheads are much less than a hotspot. But I really need some input from someone whom is running a similar system (i.e. WAN load balancing).

Also another item i'm not sure about is how to really ensure QoS across the WANS, per user. I know there are various methods of QoS setup's but I'd like to hear on some which come under heavy load for its users.

Typically across my existing hotspots I see around 1TB a month transferred (5Mb per user, with 30Mb burst for 30 seconds); but on this network I plan to upsell the broadband and offer each user 25Mb package.