MikroTik App

daviddem
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Hotspot and iphone/ipad autofill

Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Hello,

My hotspot is running smooth, but I can't for the life of me figure out why the ipads and iphones running ios5+ do not prompt to save the login and password for future autofill.

I checked and played with all the settings of these devices, they perfectly happily save login info for gmail, yahoo, etc... but for some reason, not for the mikrotik login page. They also happily log into the hotspot with the cookie if present and not expired... but if the cookie is not present, the login info has to be typed manually. Even though the autofill button is present and active, after typing the login info, no offer is made to remember it and next time the user is presented with the login page because his cookie has expired, pressing the autofill button does nothing and the user has to type his login info manually again.

I have read articles and posts on this forum about similar problems with Apple's Captive Network Assistant (CNA), so I tried to add http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html to the walled garden, and to get rid of the dns name of the hotspot in the hotspot profile, but to no avail (besides I never see the crippled Safari window that the CNA is supposed to pop up, so I am not even sure that this is part of the problem).

Help anyone? Fewi ?

dasiu
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Hotspot and iphone/ipad autofill

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:00 am

Have you tried setting HTTP PAP instead of HTTP CHAP in hotspot server profile? Maybe your Apple devices get lost, when the CHAP is used, and the password sent by the browser is different than written by you (it's MD5 hashed by JavaScript). Maybe iOS refuses to remember the form data, as they were dynamically changed?
Try disabling HTTP CHAP and enabling PAP just for tests - does it help? :)

mitjax
just joined

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:42 pm

Have you solved your problem?

I have the same problem here. A customer is reporting their iphone is not remembering the login details and I have no iphone to test.

daviddem
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:25 pm

I have not solved this problem. If you Google ios and captive portal, you will find tons of links to similar problems, so it is not unique to Mikrotik. My users have also reported their devices not offering to save their login info in airports, hotels, etc.

Looks like it's Apple again trying to be smarter than the dog with their buggy Captive Network Assistant thing ("It just works". Yeah, right!). 'nother feature meant to supposedly help their computer unsavvy users to solve non-existing problems, which creates chaos, disorder and confusion by overriding normal processes.

I will try the PAP thing in desperation next time I get my hands on an iphone. I just had another thought also as I was writing this. Could it possibly be that ios detects that a cookie with login info is being received, so it thinks that it does not need to offer to save the password? Will try to disable cookies to see what that does.

schiele
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue May 22, 2012 9:43 pm

I have hotspots at various hotels and a lot of people are having this same issue with apple devices(i.e.. iPod,iPad,iPhones and MacBooks)
I am trying to resolve this quickly and I too have tried to add http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html to the walled garden. with no luck, further more if that did work it appears it would bypass any login page from the mikrotik to my understanding, within my login pages i have added stat counter code to log unique visits from various browsers, devices..etc. this is not a good solution nor does it seem to work. right now I am running the hotspot with PAP and have not tried CHAP but it sounds as though it won't matter from other people having this problem, using CHAP. I do have cookies disabled but maybe I should enable, doubt it will make a difference though. Really needing a solution to this issue, these apple devices make for about 50% of the logins, when they cannot connect to the hotspot that cripples my support calls and looks bad for my clients. Any solutions please?

Thank you.

TheWiFiGuy

Hotspot and iphone/ipad autofill

Tue May 22, 2012 10:06 pm

We too have over 50 percent of our customers using apple devices, but have no issues whatsoever. Over 20,000 sessions per day across the networks.

We do add apple.com into the walled garden, to stop the apple captive portal helper popping up meaning users are redirected lime any other user when they open the browser...

Edit: just realised, we dont have any auto fill though either, but its not a problem for us as we leave the session timeout nice and high so users dont typically have to log back in.

schiele
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue May 22, 2012 10:37 pm

session timeouts seem interesting....looking over the hotspot settings looks like my session timeouts are set to 'none' and not set at all. that said I do have my idle timeouts set to 1 hour and the keep alive timeouts at the default 1min. Whats with all the 'timeouts' these are confusing me. Can someone help explain, i also notice more timeout setting under the server tab with the hotspot settings. do these override other timeout settings? appreciate the help.

Cheers.

rwf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:07 pm

I guess I am "bumping" this because there is new information.

Apple iOS7 purports to have improved the Captive Network Assistant. with this new release. I can't find many details, other than this: "Apple has enhanced the Captive Network Assistant (CNA) functionality iOS 7 making it more robust". That is from a Cisco blog located at http://blogs.cisco.com/wireless/get-you ... y-for-ios7

It appears that Cisco has implemented some code to leverage the changes Apple made. I will probably be using this new release code in a few weeks, but not behing a Mikrotik portal.

Perhaps Mikrotik can do some research on this and see if maybe they can update their own hotspot code to make Apples work better.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:50 am

We have made a section in the documentation how to overcome this:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Cu ... r_override

Let me know if it works for you.

MarcRomera
just joined

Wed May 14, 2014 3:23 pm

We have made a section in the documentation how to overcome this:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Cu ... r_override

Let me know if it works for you.
I've tested it but it's not working for me. Its not entering in the conditional. May be because the user agent is not just "CaptiveNetworkSupport" but "CaptiveNetworkSupport-277.10.5 wispr" (as far as I tested is always like that?

And is there anyway to split the user-agent string to get only the first characters so we can ignore what comes after? I've been looking for but I haven't foud nothing.

That's my code now:

$(if user-agent == CaptiveNetworkSupport)
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Success</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>Success</BODY></HTML>
$(else)
<html>
[...] <- Default page here. Now it's returned even to CaptiveNetworkSupport
</html>
$(endif)