Community discussions

MikroTik App

pjulian
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Multiple radius servers for different hotspot servers

Sun May 20, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi, I know there has been some discussion around this subject previously and various answers about how it may or may not work.

We have some hotspots running from a central system, so we have a couple of hotspot server profiles setup on a RB1200 which is fed from various AP's around the place.
We need to be able to send auth requests coming from certain hotspot servers to certain radius servers.
I know that the radius system in ROS works as a fall through system normally when one radius server doesn't respond it moves onto the next.

The server profile has a domain option, and it has an option to split the domain off when sending auth requests on to a radius server if desired, the radius server setup also has a domain option as well as a realm option.

What I want to be able to do is take a login called for example FRED from hotspot1, then in the hotspot1 profile I want to add a domain onto that called BARNEY for example, then I want a radius server setup in ROS to then process that request because it has been told to service requests for the domain BARNEY.

There is no option to get users to login with the domain name on the end of their username, there is already a big auth system in place which prohibits this, so we need to identify which hotspot they come from and then send that auth request to the correct radius server for that site or client.

Am I dreaming or is this possible ?

The main reason we need to do this is to restrict access for users for a certain client to certain hotspot sites, and we don't want them to be able to login to other sites on the system.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

pjulian
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Multiple radius servers for different hotspot servers

Sun May 20, 2012 6:24 pm

After doing some more searching and generic radius reading I have found a way to do this.

If you want to use a specific radius server for different hotspot server profiles just set a domain name in the server profile domain field, then whichever radius server entry needs to service those requests set the domain field in that entry to the same value and it will work.

Regards
Paul