Community discussions

MikroTik App

back2arie
just joined
Topic Author

phpmikbox - the web-based mikrotik management

Sun May 27, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi all,

I'm using Mikrotik for a while and fell really interested.
Until i found that mikrotik doesn't have "complete" web-based management like winbox do as desktop apps. There is webbox but there's only limited function supported.

However, mikrotik already have an API, so i'm thinking "Why not create a web-based complete solution using the provided API?". I'm sure i'm not the only one thought about this, but as far i searching, i can't find any projects related to this.

So, i create my own project, named phpmikbox. It's just started thought, so there's no magic here, currently only basic function (read-only) implemented.

You can try it on demo page and (maybe) give a brief feedback or suggestion would be appreciated :-)
Or even better, fork it and send some patches :-)

Regards
--
Azhari Harahap

willbur
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: phpmikbox - the web-based mikrotik management

Wed May 30, 2012 8:43 pm

Interesting...

ayufan

Wed May 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Did you try webfig?

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed May 30, 2012 9:08 pm

IP:demo.mt.lv
IP:demo2.mt.lv

user:demo
pass:no password
A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Warning

Filename: interfaces/ethernet.php

Line Number: 31

willbur
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 30, 2012 9:15 pm

Did you try webfig?
This is supposed to be the alternative to it.

willbur
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 30, 2012 9:19 pm

What is it missing?

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed May 30, 2012 9:32 pm

I can't see interfaces, or firewall rules.

willbur
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 30, 2012 9:47 pm

I can't see interfaces, or firewall rules.

I had seen the same thing.... Maybe some code needs to be edited? This could honestly be a better alternative to webfig.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed May 30, 2012 10:31 pm

Curiously, the author only mentions Webbox in his original post and doesn't even acknowledge Webfig's existence, as if he is stuck in the pre-5.0 past. ;)

I'm interested in hearing about what problems/limitations people have with Webfig? It's certainly possible that someone could build a better alternative, but it would be a tall order...because Webfig can run natively on top of RouterOS, whereas any other web-based alternative that uses the ROS API will either have to have a dedicated server running to host it, or be run inside of a MetaROUTER or KVM instance on the router itself, and that's a lot of overhead to take on just for a management GUI...

-- Nathan

willbur
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 30, 2012 11:39 pm

Curiously, the author only mentions Webbox in his original post and doesn't even acknowledge Webfig's existence, as if he is stuck in the pre-5.0 past. ;)

I'm interested in hearing about what problems/limitations people have with Webfig? It's certainly possible that someone could build a better alternative, but it would be a tall order...because Webfig can run natively on top of RouterOS, whereas any other web-based alternative that uses the ROS API will either have to have a dedicated server running to host it, or be run inside of a MetaROUTER or KVM instance on the router itself, and that's a lot of overhead to take on just for a management GUI...

-- Nathan
One problem with Webfig and Normunds knows about this. The Webfig Logo!!

ayufan

Wed May 30, 2012 11:52 pm

-- Nathan
I personally don't consider phpmikbox as good alternative to webfig which is my opinion very good for most tasks. However, I think that there is market to custom made MikroTik management system whereas neither Winbox or Webfig or even Dude is good at. It would be awesome to have site or app where you can check: status of all devices, insert firewall rules on all gateways, automatically configure IPsec between remote devices, even automatically configure HA for edge routers or... There's such a lot of possibilites. Some of other BIG vendors contains such software...

ayufan

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu May 31, 2012 3:32 pm

One problem with Webfig and Normunds knows about this. The Webfig Logo!!
Do you mean inability to hide it? We will consider this as an option for the future. But you will not be able to truly hide RouterOS. Anybody can google "Nv2" or "EoIP" and will find the maker of our software. The branding package was made to promote your brand, not to hide creator of software.

back2arie
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2012 9:26 pm

Can you make sure that the API port already open?
I already active debug mode, please try again.

back2arie
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2012 9:34 pm

-- Nathan
Actually the idea of this project came about year ago (or maybe later) http://back2arie.wordpress.com/2011/01/ ... anagement/, and i don't know exactly when was Webfig is initially released, so maybe i'm missing the news update then :-)

phpmikbox's goal is not to be webfig or webbox replacement.
I'm thinking about community project where developer and user can collaborate, share idea, and made improvement, which is the power of open source.

There's a lot of features came up on my mind, e.g. user have a dashboard and can connect to multiple devices at the same time, translation. social media (twitter) integration, and there's more... You can see where i'm going with this. :-)

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:38 am

back2arie
Can you make sure that the API port already open?
I already active debug mode, please try again.
This is a Mikrotik official demo. And as I can see API is disabled.

willbur
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 09, 2014 8:07 pm

Hi all,

I'm using Mikrotik for a while and fell really interested.
Until i found that mikrotik doesn't have "complete" web-based management like winbox do as desktop apps. There is webbox but there's only limited function supported.

However, mikrotik already have an API, so i'm thinking "Why not create a web-based complete solution using the provided API?". I'm sure i'm not the only one thought about this, but as far i searching, i can't find any projects related to this.

So, i create my own project, named phpmikbox. It's just started thought, so there's no magic here, currently only basic function (read-only) implemented.

You can try it on demo page and (maybe) give a brief feedback or suggestion would be appreciated :-)
Or even better, fork it and send some patches :-)

Regards
--
Azhari Harahap
Are you still developing for it or did you stop?