MikroTik App

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

MSN Messenger disconnecting

Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:54 pm

Hi all

I've a Mikrotik 2.9.10 configurated as bridge on my tower. In this machine I've 2 wireless cards: one 2.4Ghz card doing AP and one 5.8Ghz card doing PTP with my office.

My customers are complaining that MSN disconnect all time and that the MSN file transfer is very sllow.

What's happen? How can I correct this problem?

Thanks in advance

Fabrício F. Kammer

cibernet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:55 am

Do you have pppoe?

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:12 pm

no cibernet, I don't have pppoe

maroon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:12 pm

does the msn messenger works over http proxy? or directly connected through tcp?

anyway I prefer to use natting to solve this problem

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MSN Messenger disconnecting

Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:19 pm

My customers are complaining that MSN disconnect all time and that the MSN file transfer is very sllow.
Your transfers go through microsoft's MSN servers. Which i -think- are somewhere i the US.
How can I correct this problem?
UPnP for NAT'ed gateways. UPnP require L2 access from clients to UPnP supported NAT gateway.

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:10 pm

does the msn messenger works over http proxy? or directly connected through tcp?

anyway I prefer to use natting to solve this problem
Hi marron, I don't use proxy... I use the standart form of the msn connection.
All my clients are using Valid IPs.

Thanks

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: MSN Messenger disconnecting

Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:13 pm

Your transfers go through microsoft's MSN servers. Which i -think- are somewhere i the US.
How can I correct this problem?
UPnP for NAT'ed gateways. UPnP require L2 access from clients to UPnP supported NAT gateway.
Hi sten,

The problem with speed is between 2 clients of my networks that are on the same AP. If one client registrated on the AP1 send a file to a client registred on the AP2 the speedy is good.

What's UPnP??? Why do I need to use it???
I'm not using NAT... all my clients are using valid IP addresses

Thanks

Fabrício F. Kammer

maroon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:19 pm

try testing the connection from msn messenger tools ... test tcp connection...

I use upnp for voice n webcam ...

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:28 pm

try testing the connection from msn messenger tools ... test tcp connection...

I use upnp for voice n webcam ...
The MSN connect but it disconnect and reconnect constantly...

What's upnp?

Thanks again

stuntshell
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:35 am

Is this in the same tower where you're having P2P issues?

I had problems with MSN disconnecting that were related to bittorrent clients eating up all bandwidth, and therefore the disconnections (not exatctly related to MSN but that would also go out)

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:09 pm

Is this in the same tower where you're having P2P issues?

I had problems with MSN disconnecting that were related to bittorrent clients eating up all bandwidth, and therefore the disconnections (not exatctly related to MSN but that would also go out)
Hi stuntshell,

Yes! It's in the same tower!

Dufol
just joined

Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:39 pm

Some time ago I had same problem with MSN disconnecting
I find that the problem is, a lot of my clinetns use p2p (bit torent) wich make me a lot of problems
bittorrent eating up all avelible connections to the internet.
There is no hope just tell tham for 3-5 days not to use p2p and see the results
for exp: Bit toren can work on port 80 and u can't block this port.

My policy if i find someone using p2p I m disconnecting him from network :)

stuntshell
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:22 pm

That's exactly the problem, bittorrent eating up the bandwidth, but not the propper resolution. One should implement p2p queues to control how much bandwidth should be allocated to P2P, no matter what port they use, MT is smart enough to track and shape them.

A good policy is to control P2P by days and hours, so your clients can still make use of this protocol, specially when no one else is utilizing the network.

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:33 pm

Hi Dufol,

I belive that I've the same problem that you had. But I can't disconnect my customer because I'm selling the Internet access to him.

Do you have another solution?

Thanks

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:11 pm

That's exactly the problem, bittorrent eating up the bandwidth, but not the propper resolution. One should implement p2p queues to control how much bandwidth should be allocated to P2P, no matter what port they use, MT is smart enough to track and shape them.

A good policy is to control P2P by days and hours, so your clients can still make use of this protocol, specially when no one else is utilizing the network.
Hi stunshell,

I'm doing the QoS control, but I've problems with MSN exactly thus.
I think that the problems is not the bandwidth usage, because I've problems with MSN when the bandwidth usage i low. I think that the problems is with the Packets per Second and the number of connections that then P2P softwares open.

Regards

stuntshell
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:55 pm

If you're implemented QoS then create a rule for MSN (port 1863) giving it better priority and see if it fixes. I seriously believe this is related to something else, start sniffing these packets and see what you can come up with.
Universal Plug and Play, as others have suggested, would do you good if it were a NAT environment, which you're claiming isn't.

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:02 pm

If you're implemented QoS then create a rule for MSN (port 1863) giving it better priority and see if it fixes. I seriously believe this is related to something else, start sniffing these packets and see what you can come up with.
Universal Plug and Play, as others have suggested, would do you good if it were a NAT environment, which you're claiming isn't.
I just have a rule to priorize the MSN...
I'm not using universal plug and play because I don't do nat for my customer... all customer have a valid IP address.

Thanks

djape

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:14 am

OK, so You want both p2p and all other traffic?

Then mangle p2p, limit the bandiwidth and priority to 8 in queue tree.
For MSN do magle, change TOS to 16 and give priority 1 in queue tree.

Cheers m8 ;)

P.S. Did you replace prism card?

hmekolli
just joined

mangle for msn

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:40 am

I tried to make mangle for msn, but no success to do that, please write this code somebody. thanks

lastguru

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:30 pm

I just have a rule to priorize the MSN...
just one rule to prioritize something would have the exact opposite effect, as all the unqueued traffic goes as highest priority. you need a second queue for everything else with low priority.

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:08 pm

Hi djape!

I didn't change the prism card yet, because I'm with problem to find cm9 or sr2 cards on Brazil.

I'm doing the QoS control for all traffic and you sugest to me to change the TOS of the MSN traffic. How can I do this? In the Mangle section of the firewall?

An sorry by my ignorance but what's TOS exatly?

Another doubt: what's mean the colors in the rules of the firewall's mangle section?

Thanks again djape... you are help me a lot!

How was the MUM? Did you have a good time?

regards

Fabrício F. Kammer

djape

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:20 pm

MUM was great :)

Yes, you need to configure magle and queue trees!
As last guru said, you can't just mangle only msn or whatever, it's important to mangle rest of the traffic too.
Example msn, CoD, half life, voip, http etc and for each queue to set priority you want.
Then also you can add rule for rest of the traffic (the one you don't care - like p2p) and give lowest priority.
There are examples in manual and also can be found here on forum.
TOS is Type of Service where you actually tell router what type od service you want.
There are 5 types:
max-reliability - maximize reliability (ToS=4)
max-throughput - maximize throughput (ToS=8 )
min-cost - minimize monetary cost (ToS=2)
min-delay - minimize delay (ToS=16)
normal - normal service (ToS=0)

So for online gaming,VoIP etc. you will use ToS=16
for ftp downloads or similar you'll use ToS=8 and so on.

Cheers m8...

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:06 pm

Hi djape,

I'm doing the QoS not for MSN, but for msn, http, email, dns, voip, others and p2p.

My doubts are:

1-How can I change the TOS?
Must I do this in the firewall's mangle section putting a rule for the MSN port and selecting the action Change TOS? Must I put this rule before of the rule that marks the MSN connections of after than???

2-If I want to change the TOS of the most comon online games will I need to create a rule for each game or can I put all online games ports in one rule?

3-Do I need to adjuste the TOS of VoIP and HTTP too? Do you think this a good idea? Do you know where can I find a script with necessary TOS adjustments?

4-Do you know the most comon ports of online games?

Sorry by a lot of questions :( But I'm trying to adjuste and turn my mikrotik as fine as possible!

Thanks again!

Dufol
just joined

Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:57 pm

Hi Dufol,

I belive that I've the same problem that you had. But I can't disconnect my customer because I'm selling the Internet access to him.

Do you have another solution?

Thanks
Long Post

Yes I uderstend that
I have put to evry one in my network queue that limit the bandiwidth
64000/128000, 128000/256000 or whatever it is
In Firewall Mangle put rule 0.0.0.0/0:1863 and put name MSNrule, In Queues Tree put Queue
for msn priority 2 and select in Flow --> MSNrule there u go
But It is not helping whetever the bandiwich is set 32000/64000 he can make 200 connections And than MT will close most of tham and again 200 connections will be created and again and again.
The problem come with the buffer in the terminal I don't know what u have up/down satelite or fiberoptic, When in 1 sec is made 1000 connections (from 3-4 users using p2p) and more buffer is full.

When I have such a problem in Interface Eth1 or Lan that is connected to the terminal or internet, Traffic I can see the diagram how is going
2.0 mbit 1.6 mbit, 0.8, and sudenly 2 kb/s 1 kb/s 3kb/s 0 kb/s (hire the buffer of terminal is full and MT can't send or recive to the terminal), and again 0.6 mbit, 1mbit, 1.2 mbit, and sudenly 2 kb/s, 4kb/s....

I have seen strange things, I have one client limited to 128000/256000
and he made 1200 connections using p2pflashtool
Than what will hapen if 5-10 clients start to using p2p, what if u'r internet that u share is limited to 500 connections??

djape

Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:31 pm

Sorry conchalnet, somehow I missed this thread but it's never too late.
Here is how I do mangle for MSN (that doesn't mean it's correct!):

add chain=prerouting protocol=tcp src-port=1863 action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=MsnMSG passthrough=yes

add chain=prerouting protocol=tcp src-port=1863 action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=MsnMSG passthrough=yes

add chain=prerouting protocol=tcp src-port=1863 action=change-tos new-tos=min-delay

add chain=prerouting protocol=tcp src-port=1863 action=accept

add chain=postrouting protocol=tcp src-port=1863 action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=MsnMSG passthrough=yes

add chain=postrouting protocol=tcp src-port=1863 action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=MsnMSG passthrough=yes

add chain=postrouting protocol=tcp src-port=1863 action=change-tos new-tos=min-delay

add chain=postrouting protocol=tcp src-port=1863 action=accept

add chain=prerouting protocol=tcp dst-port=1863 action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=MsnMSG passthrough=yes

add chain=prerouting protocol=tcp dst-port=1863 action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=MsnMSG passthrough=yes

add chain=prerouting protocol=tcp dst-port=1863 action=change-tos new-tos=min-delay

add chain=prerouting protocol=tcp dst-port=1863 action=accept

add chain=postrouting protocol=tcp dst-port=1863 action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=MsnMSG passthrough=yes

add chain=postrouting protocol=tcp dst-port=1863 action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=MsnMSG passthrough=yes

add chain=postrouting protocol=tcp dst-port=1863 action=change-tos new-tos=min-delay

add chain=postrouting protocol=tcp dst-port=1863 action=accept

Cheers...