MikroTik App

daviddem
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Hotspot - forgot password functionality

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:11 am

Hello,

I am looking for a way my hotspot users could recover their password from the login page if they forget it (type their user name and their password will be sent to their registered email) (this is for a routerboard, not routerOS running on a PC with for example PHP capabilities).

I found this answer by Fewi saying it is impossible?: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 41#p254670

I don't like impossible though. Is there really no way? Has anyone done that? Would Mikrotik not be willing to integrate this essential functionality so that it is available out of the box?

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Hotspot - forgot password functionality

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:52 pm

It's impossible currently if you want to try and directly do it with a routerboard. There are however options that require extra steps and development on your part if you would like to have that option open to you.

The first option that presents itself is assuming that you are using a Radius solution and not local authentication, you would program that function into your website that would call to the SQL database and retrieve that information for you, and then forward it off.

If you are doing local authentication, then the second option that comes to mind is, you would need to program a a website that would use the API to connect to the router, gather the information that you want, and send it along to the guest.

As far as I am aware there is no built in function within the hotspot to handle any of this for you.

daviddem
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Hotspot - forgot password functionality

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Feklar, thank you very much for your reply. I am a bit embarrassed because I also posted for the same reason in the scripting forum (although the original question was a bit different, the underlying reason was the same as that of this post).

I got replies similar to yours in the other thread, and all of you have put me on the right track to achieve what I want to do. I will work on it in the next few days and if I am successful (zero php experience to date), I will make a post that describes the process to give back to the community.

The other post is here. Feel free to merge them if you have admins superpowers. Apologies again for the double posting :oops: