Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

alphahawk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Need help with a vlan

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:00 pm

I am in the process of taking over a hotel network where the original provider is using a custom built router that has failed. (The original company who built the router no longer exists) They wen from the router to a smc unmanged switch. From that switch they go to 5 nortel managed switches. Each port on the nortel has been assigned a unique vlan id (101-124, 201-224, 301-324, 401-424, 501-524). Normally when we setup hotels up we dont use vlans to isolate clients we configure the switches to not allow port to port traffic. Unfortunatly without passwords and no techs onsite with knowledge of nortel switches this is not feasable.

I would like to know if there is a way to use 1 dhcp server and 1 hotspot on a gateway (450g) for all the vlans. The only other way I have can figure to do this is to build a dhcp server and hotspot server for every vlan.

Any suggestions or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Need help with a vlan

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Yes it is possible to do so, but one thing that you need to keep in mind, all traffic coming into the routerbaord will need to be tagged for it to work in this case.

What you do is you create all of the VLANs on one interface, lets say ether5. You then create a bridge interface, and add all of the VLAN interfaces to that bridge, and this is the most important part: assign the same horizon value to each VLAN interface in the bridge port settings. Without that in place the bridge will quickly get loops in it and break down. The other thing to keep in mind, a VLAN and the physical port that it is created on cannot exist on the same bridge at the same time, that's why everything going into it needs to be tagged.

alphahawk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:22 pm

Could I add a default vlan tag that would tag any unmarked packets coming in with a vlan to grab everything else

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:51 pm

You can possibly do that with a switch chip function, but not with the bridge. I have never used the switch chip, especially for something like this setup, so I wouldn't be able to speak to if it is possible or not.

osvaldotcf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:40 am

You can possibly do that with a switch chip function, but not with the bridge. I have never used the switch chip, especially for something like this setup, so I wouldn't be able to speak to if it is possible or not.
I have searched this knowledge: in a vlan on port of switch chip put a IP. Does not work!

Anyone?