Community discussions

MikroTik App

inet212
just joined
Topic Author

Two PPPoE in one Network -->> Promblem??? :?: :?:

Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:36 pm

Hai Guys, :D

I have a problem about pppoe, can you help me??
I have set the pppoe server and everything is run well in our network, but after that another person in our network also set a pppoe server (with windows version), and cause my network(LAN with unmanageable Switch) conflic with those ilegal pppoe server. Is there any action, that I can deal with it? (our network is about 300 clients)

Thanks

Santoso

jager
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:01 am

I had exactly the same situation, but only on one VLAN (as we use 802.1Q switches)
Does that "alien" PPPoE have a service name?
If it DOES, than you should set up a new pppoe server (don`t edit or remove the existing one), and leave you new servers service name blank.

After all, you should look after dividing your network into VLANS, for sure you want to block direct traffic from ane client to another, and force all traffic to go via MT. You can do this only if you use VLANs.

Hope this helped.
Best wishes,

inet212
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:35 pm

why we should set up a new server?
is there any tool/program to trace where the alien server (Ip or mac address)?

Thanks

Santoso

jager
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:15 am

As far as I know, there is no such tool that can show you IPs or MACs of the PPPoE servers, and I will be very happy to found something that will do that.
You can list all PPPoE servers and their servicenames if you install Raspppoe for expample, and click on "Query available services" ...
But, everything what you got are the servicenames only. After all, it is much more than nothing :)