Community discussions

MikroTik App

jmay
Topic Author

ARIN Gave me IP's from Sweden, I'm in the US. What to do?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:55 pm

We are an ISP who bought IP's for the first time from ARIN and we cannot use them as many sites are blocking these IP's as they think they are non US addresses. Also sites like yahoo redirect users to a Dutch version. ARIN says they cannot help. What do I do? When will the internet learn these are now US addresses?

Anyone with experience on this?

taduikis

Re: ARIN Gave me IP's from Sweden, I'm in the US. What to d

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:13 pm

I'm kinda new to this stuff myself, but I think IPs are handled by different organizations in US and Europe. IANA and RIPE respectively. It doesn't really matter by who the subnet was issued for your matter. But for any low level ip handling they are the ones you have to deal with. You should somehow set geolocation for you pool and it would probably be enough. It's kinda difficult with v4 ips now, so no wonder such stuff happens :) By your described scenario, I assume you obtained a PI block?

Ivoshiee

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:08 pm

I doubt that there are any standard protocol for geolocation of the IP subnet and everyone is free to locate you where ever they like. Just go to Yahoo etc and prove your location by providing a ARIN confirmation that you are within US Internet. Actually, they can query IP-address databases themselves, but you can provide it by yourself as well.

jmay
Topic Author

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:36 pm

Yah they gave us a /21 block of IP's. Our provider experienced the same issue several months ago when they deployed some from the same range of IP space. After about a month the issues went away without them doing anything, but I'm wondering if I can speed up the process. My DNS servers are all set and the IP's resolve as united states addresses, but I guess I just have to wait for everybody to update their own private databases, whenever that might be.

Internet is fun :(