Community discussions

MikroTik App

meister
Topic Author

MT won't boot on Intel motherboard

Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:58 am

I am having trouble getting MT to boot with a Intel D945SNL motherboard. If I install windows on the harddrive it will boot into windows properly. When I install MT on the harddrive it complains that it can't find a valid boot disk. I have installed it using the net-install as well as from floppies - both methods don't work.

Any suggestions?

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:07 am

using sata or ide? Legacy SATA mode an option?

Sam

JJCinAZ

Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:18 am

Mikrotik is not compatible with SATA. Some motherboards will do a "Legacy SATA mode" which attempts to make the SATA drive look like an IDE to the host OS. If you are trying to use an IDE drive, then make sure you have disabled all the SATA controllers in the BIOS.

The problem is that after the bootloader starts to execute, it really just tries to read the Mikrotik OS off the first IDE drive on the first IDE controller. There is no flexibility in this AFAIK.

meister
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:24 pm

Thanks everyone. I am attempting to use an ide drive. The board has 4 sata ports and 1 ide interface (for 2 devices - master and slave). I have tried lots of combinations of disabling sata in the bios and nothing seems to work. If I load windows on the drive it will boot properly. My next step is to load up linux on the drive and see if it will boot that. I am starting to think that there may be a problem with bios not being able to boot into linux from the ide drive.