Community discussions

MikroTik App

walkbyfaith
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Queues

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:47 pm

I have a RB433 setup for hotspot. The users are authenticated by a remote RADIUS server, once they are approved for access they are given a bandiwidth profile set by the RADIUS server. This is working fine but, in certain installations I have several users(30-40) sharing a main internet connection via the RB433 with a bandwidth of 20mb. Each user has a bandwidth profile of 5mb upstream and downstream. Without changing the bandwidth profile on the RADIUS server, is there a way to set a queue to ensure that not one user dominates all the bandwidth. So, they will still get the 5mb up and down as long as it is available but, when it is not, the bandwidth is shared between all users. I know that routerboard can do this but, can it work in conjunction with the RADIUS server? Thanks for the help.

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Queues

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:51 pm

PCQ-type queues are perfect for this sort of setup as they equally divide the available bandwidth between the queued IP addresses.

You can see a presentation on how to setup PCQ (and info on the other queue types) from one of the MUM's here: http://www.tiktube.com/video/mJeK3iHGhL ... vnlIomlpG=
And the slides: http://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/U ... -megis.pdf

Hope this helps! :-)

walkbyfaith
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:10 pm

omega-80,
Thanks for the links, they did help. I still have a question. First here is my scneario. I have a student housing complex with 30 students. The main internet connection is set at 20mb Each is given 5mb profile when the login. The RADIUS server is a remote server which when the student logins and it is successful the RADIUS server sends the parameters back to the RB433 to setup a queue for that user of 5mb. If I have 20 students logged in with a 5MB profile which would exceed the total available bandwidth of 20mb at this facility, how would the queue tree work. Would it be first come first serve or is there a way to setup the queues to share the bandwidth equally?

walkbyfaith
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:46 pm

Just some more info. I have setup a pcq queue on and RB433 for all ports. This has a 2 pcq tyes of 2M for download and upload. I create a simple queue using these queue types and it works. Users will get the 2mb bandwith but, when more users login, it will be shared equally to all. Next I created a hotspot on this same RB433. When I create this hotspot it creates it's own simple queue that cannot be edited. The rate limit on the hotspot queue is set to unlimited. Also, when the users login a dynamic simple queue is setup for them which is set to whatever bandwidth the remote RADIUS server user profile is configured for. In this example I have a user setup for 8mb up and down. When I login to the RB433 hotspot, I get bandwidth speed of the user profile from the RADIUS server not the other queue that I setup on the RB433. I have 2 questions, 1) Is there a way to control the dynamic simple queue that is setup when the user logins thru the RB433. I am trying to avoid one person from using all the bandwidth available at the site. 2)How does the queue tree structure work for hotspot queues, is if first come first serve or is it more of a pcq queue type where the bandwidth is distributed equally to all users? Thanks for any help.

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:48 pm

If you apply your PCQ queue-tree queues to your external interface, both the hotspot simple-queues and the PCQ ones can work together.
A correctly done PCQ setup will ensure that when the link has reached its limit, users attempting to use bandwidth have it equally divided between them, while on the inside the hotspot queues ensure that regardless of what the outside is doing that no user will exceed the limit applied to their account.

It's quite a neat setup really and can be expanded if you want to go into assigning sub-queues in the queue tree for different DSCP values and/or traffic types like http/voip etc etc.

walkbyfaith
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:45 pm

Thanks omega-00. I applied the PCQ type queues as you suggested and it works. Just one more question. When a hotspot is created on a RB433 it automatically creates a queue named hs-<hotspot1> . Can I just delete this, it is never being used. Thanks.

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:44 am

It will be recreated each time the hotspot is enabled, normally just ignore it, there's no harm in leaving it there and it doesn't do anything unless you've specified a hotspot limit in the related hotspot profile (as opposed to a per user limit in the user profile)