Community discussions

MikroTik App

Diakiaoshinsama
just joined
Topic Author

What is the best RouterOS Host for High Bandwidth VPN?

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:12 pm

I have several sites that I am wanting to set up VPN's to. I am wanting to maintain a high encryption VPN with Firewall and Routing turned on. Here are the different site requirements:

100Mbps
20Mbps
20Mbps

So at any given time 140+ Mbps of IPSec encrypted traffic. Probably via an IPSec Tunnel VPN. The problem I am wanting to address is what system should I use to power such a beast. I used an old x86 Pentium D and only managed around 20-30Mbps using a direct tunnel with next to no routing or firewall cut on. I see that the RB1100AHx2 is a candidate, but I don't know if it will be powerful enough for my needs. I'm thinking I may have to go with a chunky x86 system. I found on the below forum post that it may go up to 200Mbps in theory. Though the details are unclear.

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... &hilit=vpn

So all of that being said, what do you far more experienced people suggest? I am not the least bit opposed to building an x86 PC, but if I can stick with a Routerboard I'd like to. I'm thinking about getting 2 RB1100AHx2's since they are reasonably cheap and test them out myself. Worse come to worse I put them as the end points for the 2 sites that only need 20Mbps. Above all else I just want to make sure I spec out a system powerful enough to handle 200Mbps for my core. 110Mbps for the other end of the 100Mbps link, and at least 40Mbps for both end points. I think the RB1100AHx2 will have no trouble for the 2 low bandwidth sites, but the 2 high ones concern me.

What say you guys?

Duduhandelman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: What is the best RouterOS Host for High Bandwidth VPN?

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:11 pm

I would suggest you to use a cheap server like dell R210 for your core.
The RB1100x2 is working very well at maximum of 300MB depends on your traffic type and number of sessions.
If you will use RB1100x2 follow the IPSec manual it's very important to get good performance.
Good luck.

Diakiaoshinsama
just joined
Topic Author

Re: What is the best RouterOS Host for High Bandwidth VPN?

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks for the reply, that is what I was thinking, a good 1U server for the core. Anyone else care to weigh in? I really want to be sure that I spec this system out properly.

Thanks!