Community discussions

MikroTik App

rjickity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

PCQ with priority - mangle causing timeouts

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:50 pm

I have a router connected to the internet via pppoe-client over a bridge ADSL modem.

I have setup pcq queues and prioritised them following the pcq article however users on the LAN experience webpages timeing out/partially loading when the mangle rules are active. If i disable the mangle, all flows fine and quickly.

the goal is to distribute the load evenly in times of contention and prioritise a few users. my config is:
/ip firewall mangle
add action=mark-connection chain=forward comment="Mark noob1 connections" new-connection-mark=noob1_conn src-address-list=noob1
add action=mark-connection chain=forward comment="Mark noob2 connections" new-connection-mark=noob2_conn src-address-list=noob2
add action=mark-connection chain=forward comment="Mark mobiles connections" new-connection-mark=mobiles_conn src-address-list=mobiles
add action=mark-packet chain=forward comment="Mark noob1 traffic" connection-mark=noob1_conn new-packet-mark=noob1_traffic passthrough=no
add action=mark-packet chain=forward comment="Mark noob2 traffic" connection-mark=noob2_conn new-packet-mark=noob2_traffic passthrough=no
add action=mark-packet chain=forward comment="Mark mobiles traffic" connection-mark=mobiles_conn new-packet-mark=mobiles_traffic passthrough=no

/queue tree
add max-limit=7500k name=Download parent=ether2
add max-limit=384k name=Upload parent=pppoe-out1
add name=noob1_download packet-mark=noob1_traffic parent=Download priority=6 queue=pcq_download
add name=noob2_download packet-mark=noob2_traffic parent=Download priority=7 queue=pcq_download
add name=noob2_upload packet-mark=noob2_traffic parent=Upload priority=7 queue=pcq_upload
add name=noob1_upload packet-mark=noob1_traffic parent=Upload priority=6 queue=pcq_upload
add name=mobiles_download packet-mark=mobiles_traffic parent=Download queue=pcq_download
add name=mobiles_upload packet-mark=mobiles_traffic parent=Upload queue=pcq_upload

/queue type
add kind=pcq name=pcq_download pcq-classifier=dst-address pcq-dst-address6-mask=64 pcq-rate=7M pcq-src-address6-mask=64
add kind=pcq name=pcq_upload pcq-classifier=src-address pcq-dst-address6-mask=64 pcq-rate=384k pcq-src-address6-mask=64

Have i missed something here ? if i test a download from queue 1 and queue 2 with only 2 hosts lists it operates correctly but it appears that as soon as i put it into production real world test have these terrible timeouts.

rjickity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: PCQ with priority - mangle causing timeouts

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:14 am

for anyone that may have a similar issue in future.

I worked through this with mikrotik support (thanks janis :) ) and it turned out that it was the dynamic mangle rules (change mss) created from my pppoe-out connection causing the problem. The problem only seemed to present itself to the akamaiedge CDN hosts also (im sure it may have been others also but this is the only one I could 100% confirm at the time).

To get around this I created static MSS mangle rules at the beginning of the mangle queue.