Community discussions

odge
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

VPNs, overhead and queus

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:10 pm

Is there any smart way, if you can see your VPN going down a ether, to have the any queueing on packets inside the VPN tunnel to be effected by the size of the outside of the vpn tunnel.

For example, a tunnel might be 1Mbps on the outside, but because of the traffic type inside (many small packets for example), the overhead is 35%, and only 650k is going on inside the VPN tunnel.

The safe thing to do is mark the VPN tunnel queu as only being 650k wide, but isnt there a smart way to maximise it?

--EDIT---
I've logged this as a bug for technical support, perhaps for them to include a multiplier value in queues to add such functionality
Last edited by odge on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

odge
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: VPNs, overhead and queus

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:28 pm

This goes a step further...

If you want to mark within a VPN tunnel then you must limit-at = max-limit so that you can have a parallel queue of a reduced % of the outside of the tunnel,

Is there no way to have this adaptive like we do with normal queues Parent/Child. So that this parallel queue can use more than just a limit-at rate, but be adaptive and use more when available. But not sure how this would be achieved.

BTW... This is only for advanced users, I'm not asking how to mark packets, or how to create a queue tree, I'm specifically looking for queue tree marking where you need to mark both the outside of the tunnel with other traffic, and in the inside of the tunnel with different protocols/IPs/streams getting higher priority inside the tunnel - but where the tunnel is flexible.

I'm pretty sure the only way for this to work would be for Mikrotik to provide additional functionality for a Queue Node to refer to another node, allow factoring (multiply by a number), but not count towards that parent etc. (Be parallel and not a child).

This ties up well with the Codel support for AQM (adapative queue management). See here: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 42#p340342