Community discussions

MikroTik App

Freqman
Topic Author

Large event 2.4g

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:11 pm

Does anyone have any pointers about specific settings that might improve 2.4 wifi in sporting event with 100k fans? It seems the noise floor gets worse and worse when fans enter the event which indicates tons of probe request from their smartphones. I only need to provide wireless to a small area contained area to select individuals (50 people with laptops) but with the current setup of cisco light weight AP's every channel gets so noisy they are rendered useless. I will be using 711 2hnd to try to improve the wireless and remove the cisco equipment.

-I have to broadcast ssid
-I have no control of the user end and just provide these users with the WPA key
-signal strength is not an issue, I'm getting great signal strength with very bad through put and high pings.

karina

Re: Large event 2.4g

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:42 am

this sounds like a real challenge. i dont know the geography of your set up but as you are only covering a small area i reckon a good start has to be in antenna choice. a directional antenna will isolate a lot of the Background noise. I will be intersted in how this one is solved

Freqman
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:22 am

this sounds like a real challenge. i dont know the geography of your set up but as you are only covering a small area i reckon a good start has to be in antenna choice. a directional antenna will isolate a lot of the Background noise. I will be intersted in how this one is solved
The cisco devices fell on ther faces with direction 3 ant MIMO patch antennas. I plan on hooking these up to get a direct comparison.
First step I will take is queing each client to 1Mb I think this will keep 1 client from stinking up the air with its re-transmits if someone pushes the connection.

Bossman
just joined

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:49 am

It sounds like you have a real opportunity with this one.

If it was me, I'd build a mesh for backhaul using Mikrotik and provide 2.3 client access with Ruckus.