MikroTik App

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Help with Vlans Please

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:59 am

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=64827

Hi i have an original post in the begginer forums. it appears that anyone who had input either has not be around to give more feed back or has given up. Im posting in the general forum now in hopes that there would be more advanced people that could help out and be exposed to my question. I hope this is not a violation of forum rules and i am not intending to spam either. Im just simply looking to get the most exposure to my questions in an attempt to to resolve the issues at hand.

Thank you in advance for looking at the other topic and providing any input.

simple version is i have 2 routers and i need a simple vlan between the two routers one router has wifi the other does not. my issue is the router with wifi needs to be 2 seperate networks. the physical ports all being the same part of the network as most the ports on the first router. and the wifi belonging to a second network that shares just 2 of the physical ports on the first router.

if this is confusing then please click the link above as it is better explained through out. thanks.

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Help with Vlans Please

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:02 pm

Hi i have an original post in the begginer forums. it appears that anyone who had input either has not be around to give more feed back or has given up. Im posting in the general forum now in hopes that there would be more advanced people that could help out and be exposed to my question. I hope this is not a violation of forum rules and i am not intending to spam either. Im just simply looking to get the most exposure to my questions in an attempt to to resolve the issues at hand.

simple version is i have 2 routers and i need a simple vlan between the two routers one router has wifi the other does not. my issue is the router with wifi needs to be 2 seperate networks. the physical ports all being the same part of the network as most the ports on the first router. and the wifi belonging to a second network that shares just 2 of the physical ports on the first router.

if this is confusing then please click the link above as it is better explained through out. thanks.
Here is the OP, copied and pasted it.... easy eh :)
Hi,

I have two routers. RB2011 and RB751G. The rb2011 is not a wireless router. the r751g is. My goal is to set up a network where port 1 is where my internet connect into. ports 2,3,6,7,8,9 and 10 are all on the same network 172.16.0.0/24 ports 3 and 4 are seperate and use 172.31.0.0/24

now my port 2 on the rb2011 will go into the rb751G which for the most part will be used as a switch. However what i would like to do is have all the ethernet ports 1-5 be part of the 172.16.0.0/24 network that is coming from the rb2011 and i would like wht wlan to bepart of the 172.31.0.0/24 network that is also on the rb2011. I do not want these two networks to communicate with each other. however i do want both networks to have access to the internet.

Is what im looking to do here best resolved with vlans. or is there a better way to configure both the routerboards to accomplish this?

I am for sure a mikrotik beginner. hence why i chouse this part of the forum to post in. If i am incorrected please let me know and ill conform as needed.

Thanks in advance for any information and help. If i have confused you with my descripts please ask and i will do my best to explain it in a different manner.
This looks easy, but if you post a drawing, then I don't mind helping you out. I work with VLANs quite a bit.

R

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:04 am

Here is the OP, copied and pasted it.... easy eh :)
Hi,

I have two routers. RB2011 and RB751G. The rb2011 is not a wireless router. the r751g is. My goal is to set up a network where port 1 is where my internet connect into. ports 2,3,6,7,8,9 and 10 are all on the same network 172.16.0.0/24 ports 3 and 4 are seperate and use 172.31.0.0/24

now my port 2 on the rb2011 will go into the rb751G which for the most part will be used as a switch. However what i would like to do is have all the ethernet ports 1-5 be part of the 172.16.0.0/24 network that is coming from the rb2011 and i would like wht wlan to bepart of the 172.31.0.0/24 network that is also on the rb2011. I do not want these two networks to communicate with each other. however i do want both networks to have access to the internet.

Is what im looking to do here best resolved with vlans. or is there a better way to configure both the routerboards to accomplish this?

I am for sure a mikrotik beginner. hence why i chouse this part of the forum to post in. If i am incorrected please let me know and ill conform as needed.

Thanks in advance for any information and help. If i have confused you with my descripts please ask and i will do my best to explain it in a different manner.
This looks easy, but if you post a drawing, then I don't mind helping you out. I work with VLANs quite a bit.

R

Thanks. Im not very skilled with photoshop but ill give it my best.

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:46 am

mspaint will do, just a rough idea and some labels, IP's etc.

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:12 pm

no ms paint for me im a linux guy. either way i have suck skills with images, here is a picture and here is the key for it.

yellow = wan input or internet.
green = 172.16.0.0/24 bridge 1
redish = 172.31.0.0/24 bridge 2

as you can see there is a redish spot on top of the 751g. that is for the wifi. so pretty much i need the wifi to be part of the 172.31.0.0/24 network coming from the rb2011 which has its dhcp server connected directly to bridge 2

all the green dots i need to be part of the 172.16.0.0/24 nework on the rb2011 and its dhcp server is on bridge 1.

I hope this helps and i feel like a compelte tard with the picture about to post but hey im not a graphics art persoon :) i hope this helps and doesnt cause more confusion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:23 pm

That's perfect, just gimme a bit of time to post my answer. I'm a bit busy at the moment.

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:43 pm

That's perfect, just gimme a bit of time to post my answer. I'm a bit busy at the moment.

Trust me i understand what its like to be busy. Look how long it took me to get the the image for ya. also Thanks

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:34 pm

Just found out theres a large back order on some of the new gear ill be using so solving this issue is going to be a major help for the next couple months and hopefully a huge learning benefit as well. I look forward to the results. thanks.

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:03 pm

If it helps more than one person then it's worth the extra effort.

I think this is the perfect scenario for a practice lab example for a student worker that is with us. I'm going to build it on my bench in the office and post screenshots. If the gods of IT permit it, then I'll do this Friday afternoon.

R

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:53 am

If it helps more than one person then it's worth the extra effort.

I think this is the perfect scenario for a practice lab example for a student worker that is with us. I'm going to build it on my bench in the office and post screenshots. If the gods of IT permit it, then I'll do this Friday afternoon.

R

awesome. im looking forward to the results as well because its just boggled me so far

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:42 pm

so how did the lab project turn out?

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Working on it now, will post shortly.

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:00 pm

OK, the lab example worked perfectly. I'll post the screenshots this evening, there are a few that need re-numbering before posting.

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:32 pm

See attached PDF lab example.

Let me know if it's any good.

R
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:03 pm

See attached PDF lab example.

Let me know if it's any good.

R

thank im gonna go over this and let ya know. its a little wierd for me as im not used to using winbox. :) i spend most of my time in the cli
i like the examples at the end. however it would of been nice to see a wifi connection pulling a 172.31
there are certainly a few things in there i missed such as actually giving the bridges ip address and things like that.

please relay my gratitude to the student who put all that data together and did the lab. and thank you too for making it possible for them. hopefully with a few tweaks we can get this banged out.

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:46 pm

You don't need to give the bridges IPs.

I used that to show examples of the following.

1: VLAN setup
2: Bridge setup
3: DHCP Server setup
4: DHCP Client setup
5: Functionality tests

In the example, the DHCP client only works if you successfully set up the VLANs and bridges. If the bridges on router 2 get IPs via DHCP then you know the VLANs are working.

There is no big difference between your setup and mine other than the interface type. Simply add your wireless interface to the red bridge on router 2. Remember your Wireless interface must be set to AP Bridge.

Msg me with questions if you need to. I'll add the info to the .PDF and release a new version if there is sufficient material to warrant it.

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:58 am

i tried to follow the guid. when i do i end up getting locked out of one of the routers. even mactelnet fails to connet. i have to default it to get back into it. i wont be able to play with again till monday morning.

one thing im doing that i dont think ive mentioned before is im taking all the ports on the rb751g and make then a switch group. one port is the master and the other 4 are slaved to it.

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:06 am

The switch chips can't have VLANs as slaves so we use bridges instead and enable RSTP. Think of the VLANs as extra interfaces under a physical interface. When it's working, you can torch a VLAN to see the traffic go through while testing your setup.

Good luck.

LarryG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:23 am

The switch chips can't have VLANs as slaves so we use bridges instead and enable RSTP. Think of the VLANs as extra interfaces under a physical interface. When it's working, you can torch a VLAN to see the traffic go through while testing your setup.

Good luck.

I finally managed to get it to work. I think my problem and initially has been the entire time is the "trunk" ports were on bridges which is why i was only getting dhcp on one side and not the other. i removed the "trunk" ports from the bridges all together and everything lit up like it should.

Thank you very much for your assistance

funny story. after i finally got all the parts to work as they should and i was finally drawing ip with wifi on the correct subnet and each port was spitting out the proper subnet as well. i started getting up set because i tried to goto the internet and was denied. for the life of me i was like what the heck. do i need new routing rules or what. i sat here for a good while thinking about it. then i remembered i started from scratch and never wrote my masquerade rule. once i applied that everything was happy.

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:13 am

Glad you got it working!

cmoegele

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:06 pm

Can you please share us your working config ?
( e.g. export file=....)

ty

cm

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Sure, but I wonder where those routers are now. :D

I'll see if the student can find them this week.

R

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:40 pm

Configs wiped by the time I found the test routers, sorry. Happy to answer questions though.