Community discussions

MikroTik App

Gimlir
just joined
Topic Author

Custom QuickSet scenarios

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:04 am

Dear Community and Mikrotik team.

Please help us to understand how it is possible to get following mass deploy task realized best way on RouterOS.

We have few hundreds small routerboards RB750 in large IPSEC hub-and-spoke deployment as spokes. We need to simplify as much as possible process of installation of spoke. In fact our task is absolutely same as base idea of newly implemented QuickSet feature.
But main difference which prevents us from using QuickSet - We have few base configuration templates (or scenarios, different from QuickSet scenario of course) depending of topologies where new spoke will be installed, each template has very few variable parameters such as node ID, IP addresses and IPSEC RSA keys. This is quite easy to generate config file outside of router automatically and then import, but still requires skills and well understanding of RouterOS from person who will do it. So in our practice this becomes not easy task for people who holds in his hands the first Mikrotik.
Also we unable to preload some default ready-to-use script (to provide end-user ability just to edit few variables and get router configured) to devices again due to our variety scenarios, at minimum we will need to preload several scripts with different scenarios and ask end-user to choose one depending of current scenario, this is again source of mistakes and not user-friendly way...

As from my understanding the best solution there can be in some kind of wizard with user-defined scenario, RouterOS should provide some interpretation feature and user (enterprise or ISP admin) should develop own scenario for this feature with list of input parameters, if-then logic and loops if needed, based on this scenario RouterOS will run wizard, ask end-user for parameters input and generate configuration.

I believe this feature can become very popular across Enterprise and Internet Service Provider segment and become great differentiator for SOHO RouterBoard's in mass deployments.

Lets discuss if this task can be realized somehow currently or we can collect voices from community enough to raise feature request.

Thanks, Alex.

Gimlir
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Custom QuickSet scenarios

Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:43 pm

Month passed, nobody interested for such type of feature?
Any comment from Mikrotik team?

timmay2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:26 am

I have a client that is looking for mass configuration of Mikrotik routers.

I was looking at using netinstall to update the firmware and apply a configuration scrip. However it would be awesome if there could be a custom QuicSset as there will be some changes required on each router. Basically each will need different PPPoE user/pass, different SSID/pass and perhaps a few other things.

Is there a way to make a custom QuickSet?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:10 am

I too wish this was possible. Often I find the profiles are *almost* what I need to present some options for end-user final configuration, but want to "hook" that process to do some extra stuff beyond just QuickSet, or offer a choice of my default configurations to the end-user.

You can tweak WebFig using "Design Skin" to add/remove controls, but that's as close as I've come.

But since you can't even edit the QuickSet scripts used by the existing profiles, "Skin'n WebFig" doesn't help much. I know you can use netinstall to change the script used by /system default-configuration print but what QuickSet uses for the configuration scripts and profile types seems an unnecessary mystery.

I even thought about using the API to do similar things, but that too isn't possible:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=152201