Community discussions

MikroTik App

cleistonrs
Topic Author

How do I create a trunk port for vlans across the network?

Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:42 pm

How do I create a trunk port using vlans across my mikrotik network? I want to create a VLan port where the packets are tagged when ingress and untaged when regress to the main link, but I want to create one VLan for each citie, the goal is separate the broadcast of each citie where I provide internet access.
How do I create a trunk and broadcast the traffic trought my bridge. When I use a switch I know what to do but mikrotik is giving me a huge headache about VLans. Anyone can help me out to set up this.

City A rb 1100 rb 750g rb750g
(Internet link) VLan1, Vlan2-------(PTP rocket m5 wds)--------City B---------(another PTP rocket m5)-----------City C
ether1 ether2 Vlan1 Vlan2

My network is all based on mikrotik, I don't have any switches in it.

best regards.

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: How do I create a trunk port for vlans across the networ

Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:45 am

I create VLANs and assign them to a physical port on the MT. I connect the Ethernet port on the MT to a switch port that is configured to respect tagged traffic.

On HP switches for example, my "trunk" port is basically a port that allows incoming tagged traffic from the Mikrotik. The remaining ports on the switch are then assigned to the VLANs and set to tag traffic as per their config.
MTCNA

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:54 am

A few more things, keep it simple.

Put your Ubiquity bridges on dedicated ports on the MT because it's easier to torch traffic this way.

Assign VLANs to these ports on both sides, make sure the VLAN id's are unique and have a partner on the other side of the bridge.

Your bridges should allow broadcasting traffic.

Don't route on the bridges or anything, they must just do their Ethernet bit, like a cable through the air, from city to city.
MTCNA

tchus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:21 am

Hey Anrkey,
Nice explanation. I have basically the same scenario as OP.
You're implying a switch between the MT and the Ubnt bridges is the simplest and functional route to take?
I have a RB250gs on the shelf.
I've heard they are problematic? something to do with not respecting the tag on egress or?
Recommend that model or moving up to an HP Pcurve? Budget runs my show at the moment.

Thanks

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:26 am

Hey Anrkey,
Nice explanation. I have basically the same scenario as OP.
You're implying a switch between the MT and the Ubnt bridges is the simplest and functional route to take?
I have a RB250gs on the shelf.
I've heard they are problematic? something to do with not respecting the tag on egress or?
Recommend that model or moving up to an HP Pcurve? Budget runs my show at the moment.

Thanks
Well, yes and no.

I'd only buy the switch if I needed it. It would make life easier however.

I used that example to explain how the MT does it's VLAN thing.

R
MTCNA

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:13 pm

I'd recommend those HP switches. I have the 1700-24 series version running in our Mosselbay server room. The 1810-24 is the newer series. They simply work with MT and are quite reliable.

*edited - added info for switch*
MTCNA