Community discussions

MikroTik App

gevasio
just joined
Topic Author

Simple queues

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:08 am

This is an question already posted here, by Wyoming, and not aswered yet.
I use Mik 2.9.11 and I have the same problem.

... We use Simple queues to traffic shape all our customers. This all has been working fine except for one customer we just found. We set up rules for each customer and then for all our equipment. Then at the end of the queues we set up a catch all queue to catch any other traffic so that our customer can't pick a different unshaped IP in the block and get more speed.

The problem that I am seeing now is that the customers traffic is now hitting the queue for their traffic and then hitting the catch all queue. We have this same setup in 20 other Mikrotiks and they are all working fine.

Here are the queue rules.

8 name="PNDLWY0076 - xxx.xxx.xxx.251 - Day" target-address=xxx.xxx.xxx.251/32 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0
interface=Local-Customer-Gateway queue=Ether-Day-Home priority=8 limit-at=0/0 max-limit=512000/512000

31 name="CatchAll" target-address=0.0.0.0/0 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 interface=all queue=Ether-Day-Business priority=8
limit-at=0/0 max-limit=1536000/1536000

if I set the max-limit = 128000 for queue 31 then the customer hitting queue 8 drops to 128000.

As soon as I enter the reverse rule for traffec the Catchall queue clears up.

9 name="queue1" target-address=0.0.0.0/0 dst-address=xxx.xxx.xxx.251/32 interface=WAN-To-Internet queue=Ether-Day-Home
priority=8 limit-at=0/0 max-limit=512000/512000

My understanding was that the first rule should catch all traffic and the exact opposite of that traffic. Can someone help me understand why this is not working here but it is working for all our other sites.

we are using 2.8.17 at this time. I may need to upgrade but I didn't see anything in the change log that indicated a problem with simple queues being fixed....

Thanks in Advance.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:43 am

Queues does not support access lists yet right?

Your catch all rule will have to exclude everything that is queued already. The queue tree does not exit on first match, it matches through the entire list - therefore, 0.0.0.0/0 obviously includes the address-lists that you have specified in the previous queues

Someone else might have a better solution, but I'd suggest not using a simple-queue for the catch all. Mark the packets, and do your queueing based on the marker, not the ip address. Then you can use your catch-all to mach all packets that is not already marked.

BelWave
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:26 am

Queues does not support access lists yet right?

Your catch all rule will have to exclude everything that is queued already. The queue tree does not exit on first match, it matches through the entire list - therefore, 0.0.0.0/0 obviously includes the address-lists that you have specified in the previous queues

Someone else might have a better solution, but I'd suggest not using a simple-queue for the catch all. Mark the packets, and do your queueing based on the marker, not the ip address. Then you can use your catch-all to mach all packets that is not already marked.
Wow, this topic dates way back with me! I never got MikroTik to understand the importance of the "Default Bucket" or "Catch All" function a year or more ago. This is a relatively simple function that our Packeteers performed very well.

Gevasio hit it right on the head...we need a way to limit any and all traffic not already assigned to a Simple Queue to eliminate the chance of available IP addresses from being used without authorization.

Brad

lastguru

Re: Simple queues

Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:35 pm

Then at the end of the queues we set up a catch all queue to catch any other traffic so that our customer can't pick a different unshaped IP in the block and get more speed.

31 name="CatchAll" target-address=0.0.0.0/0 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 interface=all queue=Ether-Day-Business priority=8
limit-at=0/0 max-limit=1536000/1536000
well, of course it will catch everything, please read the manual on how simple queues are placed. as for the solution, you should specify some classifier, be it source, destination address or interface for the "catch all" queue to catch the traffic it is supposed to catch.