Community discussions

MikroTik App

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Is my rb1000 aging?

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:23 pm

My rb1000 runs now for some years as main gateway for my network.
Its tasks; simple queues for clients, some firewall tasks, 1:1 srce-nat and routing-back (routing tables) into the network.
Traffic grew from 50 users to some 350 now and average traffic from some 6-8Mb average to 25-35 average now.

Router is not caching for dns, but only replaces all dns request into 'openDNS' server IP's.

Last half year I have had now 3 instance where random clients started to complain about failing internet connectivity, which after investigation we found is 'no-dns resolving' related.
Some PC in an office side by side of another one in same office lost all connectivity (dns error) where others just worked on...
Same for many clients..., some had no problems whatsoever where the neighbor suddenly had no more internet.

Whatever I troubleshoot for, I could not find the reason. Yet again I than, as last resort; rebooted the rb1000 and after that everybody's problems disappeared!

I can't find any issues. Log file shows nothing special. CPU is around 20-35% so what can be the problem?
Is the internal memory nearing its end? (almost 2 billion sector writes, 2.2% bad blocks 13,5 of 61,4Mb total still free.

Free Memory an hour after the reboot shows 442MB where the total is 504,2Mb.
Am I running out of memory?
Is my memory getting bad?

Do I need to upgrade anything?
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is my rb1000 aging?

Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:35 am

I have actually seen this on some CPE's too. I start to wonder if there are some bug that make this happening. what if you upgradre ros and firmware to newest possible?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:41 am

I have actually seen this on some CPE's too. I start to wonder if there are some bug that make this happening. what if you upgradre ros and firmware to newest possible?
That didn't help. In the end I took a rb1000 from the shelf and cloned it completely. It works now for 3 days without any issue....
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:05 pm

what if you take a system reset and try to import the config again? still slow? would be nice to se if a router can "age"