Community discussions

MikroTik App

sesidn
just joined
Topic Author

Password Changed by Copy Paste from MS Excel and Lost

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:31 am

Hello All,

This is my first post and the reason I sign up here is because I have a problem with passwords on my RB750 RouterBoard.

I stored all my passwords in an Excel File. And so is the password for my RouterBoard.
This time I wanted to change the password. To avoid misspelling I type first the password on the excel file and then copy from the excel cell and paste it on WinBox change password window.
But then, the next time I wanted to log in, it said that the password is not correct!
My suspicion is that when I change my password by copy and paste from excel cell, some special characters were being copied as well.
Now the problem is I don't know which additional special character was being copied.

Is there anyone here who can help with this? Without reinstalling the Router of course.

When I tried to copy paste from excel cell to MS DOS Editor by using Binary Mode, it is true that an additional character was being copied as well. But when I tried to copy that to the password field of WinBox, still wrong password.

Thanks.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Password Changed by Copy Paste from MS Excel and Lost

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:51 am

Excel is not a text document, you can't copy anything from excel into password forms. It also copies formating and other things.

Reinstall is your only option, unless you manage to do exactly the same copy/paste procedure as you did when you first set the password.

sesidn
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:16 am

Excel is not a text document, you can't copy anything from excel into password forms. It also copies formating and other things.

Reinstall is your only option, unless you manage to do exactly the same copy/paste procedure as you did when you first set the password.
Hi,

Thanks for the response.
Well, it works for email passwords when copying and pasting through browsers like Mozilla Firefox or MS IE. Perhaps it's because it's on the same environment and character encoding i.e. Windows?

Lessons learned though.
I think first I will try the manual reset button on the RB750. Do you think it will reset the password as well?
I found it here: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Password_reset

Thanks.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:34 am

yes, please do that, it will reset password also.

NetworkPro
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:10 pm

So MikroTik will adjust WinBox to auto-strip any formatting and trailing spaces in the future?