Community discussions

MikroTik App

uebi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

IPv6 PD over PPP - static prefix - HOW???

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:44 am

Hi everyone!

As already asked some time ago, I still can't get this to work :-(

My goal: I want to authenticate a couple of clients with PPPoE. Their routers (non MikroTik!) receive the public IPv4 address just fine, the IPv4 clients behind those routers are using src-nat and everything is working for IPv4.

I also need to send them an IPv6 prefix, but this should be, just like the IPv4 address, remain the same all the time! I don't wanna use a pool and randomly assign an IPv6 prefix!!

This works with a MikroTik client if I specify the prefix in the PPP secret (Remote IPv6 Prefix). I can statically use this prefix on a MikroTik client. This (non-standard?) option does NOT work on a D-Link DIR-600 or Linksys E900 router! They see the prefix attached to the WAN port if I do it that way and this can't be changed. The routers are reachable via IPv6, but I want the LAN to be reachable by IPv6, not just the routers WAN interface!!

The only way to get this working is by a standard DHCPv6 PD. This works like a charme with all IPv6 capable client routers that I've tried. The only major drawback is that I can't make any static assignments. I just can select a DHCPv6 PD Pool in the PPP profile, but as the PPP service creates dynamic servers, they just take a random prefix from the selected pool.

A really ugly workaround would be to create a seperate pool and a seperate profile for every single PPP client. This would scale for my couple of clients, but not for a larger network.

Is there any way to solve this problem of which I'm just not aware of or should this be a feature request? Would be great to select a DHCPv6 PD Pool in the PPP profile but still have the possibility to chose a static DHCPv6 PD prefix out of the profile's pool in the PPP secret of every single customer. This way we could have a static DHCPv6 PD oder PPPoE.
According to the wiki (http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IPv6/DHCP_Server), this feature works for normal DHCPv6 servers without PPPoE (static-only option).

KR,
uebi

uebi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: IPv6 PD over PPP - static prefix - HOW???

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Nobody? :-(

uebi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:09 pm

Still nuttin?

Any official MikroTik staff reply? Could this be an upcoming feature?? This WILL be needed for sure in the future!

KR,
uebi

omidkosari
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:41 pm

how about using Framed-IPv6-Prefix or Mikrotik-Delegated-IPv6-Pool in your radius server ?

uebi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:34 pm

I guess that would work but as mentioned above, it's a tiny network and therefore there is no Radius server. I also don't want to setup a Radius server for a couple of customers. Would be great though to specify it on the RouterBOARD itself.

KR,
uebi