Community discussions

MikroTik App

szastan
Topic Author

RB 751G-2HnD, SMB

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to connect to my USB drive connected to RB 751 using SMB. From Windows everything works fine, but trying to connect from Mac (OSX 10.8.2) I get info: Server version you are trying to connect is not supported, but then connecting to Windows PC, everything works fine. Is this possible flaw that can be corrected on Mikrotik side, 'cause I don't believe that Apple would do anything about that issue :)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: RB 751G-2HnD, SMB

Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:25 pm

RouterOS uses SMB v1. In MacOS 10.8 Apple completely dropped support for SMB v1 and only works with SMB v2. For MacOS 10.7 or older, this solution works: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4697?viewlocale=en_US but not for MacOS 10.8 until we rewrite our implementation to SMB v2

szastan
Topic Author

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:56 am

Thank you for this clarification. Do you have any possible term when you want to implement new version of SMB ?

vaalaskala
just joined

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:19 pm

tried this as well http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4700 with no luck unfortunately. Is the support vor SMB v2 planned in near future?

vaalaskala
just joined

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:20 am

One way to do it partially in os-x Mountain Lion is to install separate SAMBA with brew (sudo brew install samba) and then i can use samba utilities provided to list the shares and actually get and put files on them via samba client. Guess it is better than nothing but it still does not allow to mount the shares as smbmount is not present in SAMBA versions that are available for installation with brew.

Anyway here's a suggestion to Mikrotik

* in router management page: IP > SMB replace to IP > SMB 1.0 as this will save users hours of googling for the issues they might face as this is antique version anyway.
* in your product information sheet also provide the version of SMB as this would save dumbasses like me who bought the router for gig ethernet and SMB to do timemachine backups remotely. $80 router price + $80 external hdd price is still cheaper learning price than timecapsule but hey it is not working. Only later you find out that it does not work with OS-X (starting from OSX-LION) out of the box. Cause the documentation does not say a thing about the versions

anyway lets hope that Mikrotik will upgrade the SMB version in someday cause other aspects of the router are quite good.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks, we added some notes to the manual http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/SMB