MikroTik App

pekr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

WinBox usability improvements?

Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:53 pm

Hi guys,

just wanted to ask, if it would be possible to bit redesign/adapt winbox for better usability?

1) and probably very cosmetic - graphs are using one red, one blue, one pixel wide lines. Why not some nicer graphs? I mean - bot rx and tx to be displayed one over each other? You can mix colors, can't you?

2) what drives me nuts is inability to arrange windows. It could be solved in one of following ways (or even more ways):

a) small icon next to the window close button, which would send particular window to back

b) some list-box, where you could choose what window to bring to front

c) and probably most elegant - make kind of Windows taskbar, or just one reserve kind of small 20pixel bar, and put there tabs for opened windows ...

I know that ctrl + tab can be used to switch between windows, but some additional mode would not hurt ...

...just my 0.2 cents

-pekr-

cibernet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: WinBox usability improvements?

Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:58 pm

Hi guys,

just wanted to ask, if it would be possible to bit redesign/adapt winbox for better usability?

1) and probably very cosmetic - graphs are using one red, one blue, one pixel wide lines. Why not some nicer graphs? I mean - bot rx and tx to be displayed one over each other? You can mix colors, can't you?

2) what drives me nuts is inability to arrange windows. It could be solved in one of following ways (or even more ways):

a) small icon next to the window close button, which would send particular window to back

b) some list-box, where you could choose what window to bring to front

c) and probably most elegant - make kind of Windows taskbar, or just one reserve kind of small 20pixel bar, and put there tabs for opened windows ...

I know that ctrl + tab can be used to switch between windows, but some additional mode would not hurt ...

...just my 0.2 cents

-pekr-
MikroTik ain´t M$ Winsucks..
José Ignacio Acosta
MikroTik Consultant IDAR0001
Mikronet

Movile: +54 9 3472-624722
Email/Msn: info[at]mikronet.com.ar

pekr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:01 am

Ah, thanks for really educating reply, that was really rational answer ;-)

While MT is not MS, Winbox usability sux. And if you need some lessons on interface usability, go and study some material on the web ;-)

-pekr-

maximan
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:37 am

just use the console or ssh session.
Winbox is for help to configurate the MT, not for be nice to your eyes
MKE Solutions > Professional Support IT (Spanish / English)
FastNetMon / FNM Manager: DDoS Detection Tools.

pekr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:41 am

Look, I can use the console, and I am using it from time to time, as I work with Linux on occassion at home, but I have another ppl as e.g. my brother, who are productive using WinBox.

We are not talking console here, right? I don't understand why I am suggested using console, if I am just trying to suggest the way of how to improve on WinBox. That is not critique, just a suggesting of how to eventually improve on WinBox usability ...

-pekr-

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:44 am

we are constantly working on improving things, thank you for the suggestions