MUM Europe 2020

Krusty
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Please need help to config queues

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:01 am

Hello dear geeks and nerds,

I have looked for some config, that will do this, if you (someone) could be so kind and help me with this

What I have
1. 2x RB411AH as an AP on local network, wlan and LAN port is in bridge mode

Situation
If some CUF (Common User Frank) want to upload his highly needed party photos to server, so he can share it with others, he will overwhelm wireless connection and others cannot work as fast as they need.

What I need
So Could you be so kind and help me config Queues, that will limit this high speed consumers from owerhelming wireless connection?
I thougt about some rule, that will say, if you download or upload some big shit, or your abuse is too long, than your speed will be limited to eg. 512kb

thank you very much for help, your parents will be proud and I will tell about your grace all over the internet...

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Please need help to config queues

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:47 pm

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Connection_Rate
thank you very much for help, your parents will be proud
Please, spare my parents, they already are convinced that I spend too much time on PC for nothing.
-Toni-
Don't crash the ambulance, whatever you do

Krusty
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:57 am

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Connection_Rate
thank you very much for help, your parents will be proud
Please, spare my parents, they already are convinced that I spend too much time on PC for nothing.
oh your God, litlle bit of tunning and it work like Holywood marriage. Thank you

one more thing
you have some shortcut where can I find explanation about diferences betveen limit-at= and max-limit= command ? Or you can make it by your own ? :)

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Let us assume that you have an internet connection of 10Mbps up and down. Now, you divide the connections of your network into two major groups, like HTTP and other.
First you would create a parent queue with 6Mbps max-limit. Then you create to child queues to this parent, one for HTTP and one for other. The limit-at usually is specified in the child queues. What it means is that you guarantee the minimum of bandwidth to this queue, so the router will always try to deliver the limit-at, no matter what (granted the bandwidth is available).
/queue tree print
name="download" parent=ether1 packet-mark="" limit-at=0 priority=8 max-limit=10M burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 
     burst-time=0s 

name="HTTP_download" parent=download packet-mark=HTTP_traffic limit-at=2M queue=PcqDown priority=1 max-limit=10M 
     burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s 

name="other_download" parent=download packet-mark=other_traffic limit-at=1M queue=PcqDown priority=8 max-limit=8M 
     burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s 
In the example above I am trying to give higher priority to HTTP connections by specifying the priority, but nevertheless, the router will always deliver the 1Mbps to the other connections even if it has lower priority. In the other_traffic I have also put the max-limit to 8Mbps so I am always living a 2Mbps window to the HTTP_traffic. I do this because the router can only manage the traffic that is going through to it (it does not know what is being delivered to it), and if the other traffic populates the entrance there is little chance that HTTP connections will be the first to be captured by the router. Think of this as a line in an airport, or tickets at train station. Even if you might have some priority to pass first, the person at the booth can not notice you if you are behind a crowded line.

Also, you should be careful at the summ of the limit-at of both child queues. It should not exceed the max-limit of the parent queue, usually at half of the max-limit of parent queue, so it lives you room to play with priorities as well.

Hope I have been clear, but you can check more here http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:HTB
-Toni-
Don't crash the ambulance, whatever you do

Krusty
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:08 am

thank you, this was clear enough, now I have realy good tuned APs :)