Community discussions

MikroTik App

deejam
just joined
Topic Author

Private IP address usage statistics

Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:18 pm

Fore once, my Google kung fu skills isn't sufficent enough.

I'm looking for private ip address usage statistics, preferably divided in class C networks. I need it for selecting address ranges, so it only needs to be approximate numbers.

The only statistics I found is a pdf containing private address space DNS lookup statistics on a public network. The gathered data is limited in several ways and divided in zones, which is not suffichent enough.

Do we have any Google kung fu masters that can tackle the problem, or maybe even a hobby-researcher that can gather its own data?

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Private IP address usage statistics

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:35 pm

what exactly do you want to know?..

heviejob
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:47 pm

What is he looking for? Statistics for what private or public

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

deejam
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:09 pm

what exactly do you want to know?..
What is he looking for? Statistics for what private or public
I'm looking for private ip address[1] usage[2] statistics[3], preferably divided[4] in class C networks[5]. I need it for selecting[6] address[7] ranges[8], so it only needs to be approximate[9] numbers[10].
[1] Private ip address, "One of a range of IP addresses set aside by RFC1918 for use within private networks."
[2] Usage, "The act, manner, or amount of using."
[3] Statistic, "A number that can be computed from data, involving no unknown parameters. As a function of a random sample, a statistic is a random variable. Statistics are used to estimate parameters, and to test hypotheses."
[4] Divide, "to separate into parts, groups, sections, etc."
[5] Class C network, "Class C addresses use the first three octets to identify the network which means that 2,080,800 addresses (networks) are possible, each of which can support 254 computers (hosts)."
[6] Select, "to choose in preference to another or others; pick out."
[7] (IP) Address, "An IP address is an identifier for a computer or device on a TCP/IP network."
[8] Range, "the extent to which or the limits between which variation is possible."
[9] Approximate, "Almost accurate or exact."
[10] Number, "A member of the set of positive integers; one of a series of symbols of unique meaning in a fixed order that can be derived by counting."

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:12 pm

I still don't get it :) Private IP addresses are not unique, anyone can use 192.168.88.1, knowing that 7580 people have this IP will not help you to select your own Private IP range :)

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:30 pm

well... we use about 48% of 10.0.0.0/16 private network, among them:
80% of 10.0.1.0/24
78% of 10.0.2.0/24
94% of 10.0.3.0/24
50% of 10.0.4.0/24
65% of 10.0.5.0/24
39% of 10.0.6.0/24

should I continue?..

deejam
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:51 pm

I still don't get it :) Private IP addresses are not unique, anyone can use 192.168.88.1, knowing that 7580 people have this IP will not help you to select your own Private IP range :)
Your logic is fallacious (and off-topic). Your conclusion is based on irrelevant premises and missing data.
well... we use about 48% of 10.0.0.0/16 private network, among them:
80% of 10.0.1.0/24
78% of 10.0.2.0/24
94% of 10.0.3.0/24
50% of 10.0.4.0/24
65% of 10.0.5.0/24
39% of 10.0.6.0/24

should I continue?..
No (not that any answer matters to a troll).

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:57 pm

the best troll here is you =)

can you give some (random) example of what you are looking for and how you want to use it?..

NAB
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:00 pm

I'm looking for private ip address usage statistics, preferably divided in class C networks. I need it for selecting address ranges, so it only needs to be approximate numbers.
There are over 2 million class C networks (24 bit networks in the 192.0.0.0 to 223.255.255.255 range). This includes some of the RFC1918 (commonly called 'private') address space (192.168/16), but not all of it (10/8 and 172.16/12). In addition, classful networking was replaced with Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR) in 1993.

It is therefore exceedingly unlikely that the information you require is available. This would be because:

1) Information about the RFC1918 address space is, by its very nature, private and data is not collected on it.
2) Information collected prior to and including 1993 would be completely useless and irrelevant in the modern world.

If you didn't actually mean what you wrote, then it may, perhaps, be more useful to rephrase your question avoiding the use of terms nearly 20 years out of date.

LeChat
just joined

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:16 pm

deejam
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:55 pm

2) Information collected prior to and including 1993 would be completely useless and irrelevant in the modern world.
If you didn't actually mean what you wrote, then it may, perhaps, be more useful to rephrase your question avoiding the use of terms nearly 20 years out of date.
1 Class C network equals a /24 prefix CIDR, and is still a commonly used (and valid) terminology. But I admit that I could have phrased it better.
1) Information about the RFC1918 address space is, by its very nature, private and data is not collected on it.
Just because it is private doesn't prevent it from being collected. It do complicate things, probably explaining why it is difficult to find enough data.

Edit: Everybody, please return to the topic.

NAB
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:14 pm

1 Class C network equals a /24 prefix CIDR
One 'old' class C network is now a /24 CIDR. Correct. I never said otherwise.
and is still a commonly used (and valid) terminology.
It may be commonly used (although I haven't heard any network professionals use the term for many years), but in the context of your original post, it certainly isn't valid.
Edit: Everybody, please return to the topic.
I must admit that I am somewhat surprised that even when it's been pointed out by several people that your original question wasn't being understood your reply seems to be "It's perfectly clear, you're lying/trolling/stupid.".

Perhaps you should accept that even if you understand your original question, nobody else appears to. Start again differently. If you say "This is my problem" rather than "This is the solution I want", you may get better results.

nest
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:13 pm

Deejam - If you want to obtain statistics on what private IP addresses are used, e.g. (stupid number picked at random) that 192.168.0.1 is used by millions of people and as a percentage that comes out to 90% of all the Private IPs used... what is the purpose you need that data for? To know which IP range or IP address to use yourself?

Your statement does elude to that. "I need it for selecting address ranges"

So... why do you need to be interested in what someone else is using? If it is a private IP address that you are trying to decide to use, then use any IP you like as being a private IP, YOU and ONLY you have the control over what private IPs are in your network as they cannot be routed to the outside world or across into any other public routed network. The clue is in the descriptive name of the IP block. Plus RFC1918 makes that very clear.

So, pick whatever IP you like. Who cares if one IP or another is more popular than another?

The reason why Google does not know the answer, is because there is no data for Google to find. Those IPs are private. Behind a firewall. Beyond the reach of Google. That is why you have struggled to find out anything. Not because of any conspiracy, not because no one wants you to know. It is, quite simply, not known for the fore stated reasons.

Neilson
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:43 am

Also Deejam

I think if you are trying to pick a range to limit the number of collisions you have when working on customer systems with tunnels then I would advise you to avoid:
192.168.0.0/24
192.168.1.0/24
10.0.0.0/24
10.1.1.0/24

As those are the ranges I most commonly see around.

Past that the best advice we can give is know your customers and know which ranges they use. Then you can pick your range to avoid conflicts with your real world requirements.

Any other advise we give will likely be anecdotal and of limited use. For example in my experience the 172 range private addresses are usually only in use by infrastructure networks and not common by end users / companies. But I am sure that other people writing on here will be able to point to their experiences that will differ.

Your best course of action is to take all the advise given and look at your situation and pick. And where possible avoid using fixed IP addressing for your internal systems so you can change your internal ip space if needed and just update system names / internal DNS servers.

Regards
Alexander