Community discussions

poweruser
just joined
Topic Author

How to reboot the routerOS without rebooting the computer?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:43 pm

Is there any possibility to reboot running routerOS without rebooting the whole computer?

I have problem with RouterOS v5.20. It needs to be rebooted after aproximately 15-20days of running(no password set, no licence, dont save any changes, cant download a file and so on...) but my computer(core i5 2400) sometimes doesnt see USB disk after reboot so it cant load the routeros software from it and stays stuck.

Thanks for helping me.

NAB
Trainer
Trainer

Re: How to reboot the routerOS without rebooting the compute

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Is there any possibility to reboot running routerOS without rebooting the whole computer?
If ROS is running on the bare metal, then no.
but my computer(core i5 2400) sometimes doesnt see USB disk after reboot so it cant load the routeros software from it and stays stuck.
My guess is that your problem is with USB. If it's a standalone machine running ROS, then I would strongly recommend putting a HDD inside it connected over IDE/SATA. My experience of USB devices with ROS is not good!
Nicholas Barnes BSc(hons)
Certified Mikrotik Consultant
Certified Mikrotik Trainer

Vitell - Asterisk, Linux and network consultants
Unofficial IRC channel: #routerboard on irc.z.je

poweruser
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks.

There wouldnt be any problem if the ROS wouldnt freeze in such a way I have described. The PC is running on large UPS so there wouldnt be any problem with turning on/off due electricity failures and than with USB boot failure(only sometimes but it still happens sometimes).

NAB
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:54 am

There wouldnt be any problem if the ROS wouldnt freeze in such a way I have described.
What I am saying is that I suspect your ROS is freezing because the USB or USB disk is failing. Seriously, put an IDE/SATA drive inside the box and don't use USB.
Nicholas Barnes BSc(hons)
Certified Mikrotik Consultant
Certified Mikrotik Trainer

Vitell - Asterisk, Linux and network consultants
Unofficial IRC channel: #routerboard on irc.z.je