MikroTik App

Eugeny
just joined
Topic Author

Large amount of switches and PPPoE authentication

Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:27 pm

Hello All
It seems we need a piece of advice.
We try to build a "home network" for small district. We'd like to use a Mikrotik router as a PPPoE concentrator (in a "center" of network) with user authentication using RADIUS, but i wait a couple of fails on very long chains of switches (like 40..60 switches in chain).
Are there any ways to"break" such chains?
At this time i plan to install some additional Mikrotik computers, use 'em like additional concentrators for clients near those Mikrotics and setup L2TP tunnels between thoes "remote" Mikrotics and "central" Mikrotik.
So i'll be able to reduce switch chains length between PPPoE clients and servers.

dot-bot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:30 pm

Strange. You shouldn't have any problems with even 500 switches along the line. Only some small insignificant delay.

Maybe some of your switches arent performing as they should. Try resettign all the switches ( if you have the power centralised).

Are some of the switches Managed Switches ?

Is network load way too high ? Maybe some packets fail delivery because of that. Or some cables are not performing correclty, have losses, etc. Try the ping command like this(Win32): ping -l 65500 -t and wait for at least 60 secs to see if there is loss. There may be some loss due to high network load when you try the ping command. Try not with 65500 but with 1222. One host that you'r pinging from must be near the first switch of the "chain" and other host that you're pinging must be connected to the last switch.
Last edited by dot-bot on Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eugeny
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:40 am

Strange. You shouldn't have any problems with even 500 switches along the line. Only some small insignificant delay.
I know the theory :)
Just look at this. From time to time every switch can drop packets (bad cable links, noises, large amount of traffic, random hardware errors and a lot of other reasons). The more chains length the higher probability of packet drop.
PPPoE is not X.25 or other protocols for "bad" links, so packet dropping (even relative small amount of dropped packets) results in massive connection lost and other problems.

dot-bot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:25 am

Fix your network dude. Get rid of the bad liniks. Packet delivery on every cable should be flawless. High network load shouldnt be a problem for pppoe packets.

Or just do what you said in the first post :) Although L2TP tunnels may syffer the same/similar problems like PPPoE. Good luck.

In most cases ISPs are digging and laying optics to fix such problems. Maybe it's time to invest in some underground routes. You can put any cable in the underground tubing, optic, copper...
:roll: