Community discussions

MikroTik App

cylent
Topic Author

a way around multiple pppoe logins from one mac

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:25 pm

Hello All.

After some time trying to figure out the reason to my multiple-pppoe gateway issue i found the problem to be "one session per host" is enabled.

On my test bed I created a pppoe server and my test router. Obviously i wanted to make it as close to what the provider has as possible. What was driving me nuts was the fact that i couldnt allow multiple connections to remain connected. Then i figured out it was the "one session per host" option.

This is great and all however I need a way to go around this.

Its obvious the provider has this option enabled via Radius or Mikrotik -- and thats great for them however for me this is a problem because I want to distribute my logins on ONE router. I want to make it simple for my users so the router does multi-logins and distributes ips to the user.
This is in no way harming the provider because I have bought many subscriptions from them -- i am just simply logging in with one host that has one mac address.

Is there a way to tell the mikrotik router via scripting or some way to change the mac address for the pppoe dialup connection so that i dont get kicked off?

this is sooo important ... if anyone knows of a solution or way pls pls pls share.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: a way around multiple pppoe logins from one mac

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:47 pm

I'm not sure I correctly understand your description.
However, if ISP PPPoE server has restrictions for one mac and single login, it is more correctly to contact them and ask about possible solutions.
If you have your own router between ISP and clients, put PPPoE client on public interface and distribute Internet connection between your users in the way you want.

cylent
Topic Author

Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:17 pm

I'm not sure I correctly understand your description.
However, if ISP PPPoE server has restrictions for one mac and single login, it is more correctly to contact them and ask about possible solutions.
If you have your own router between ISP and clients, put PPPoE client on public interface and distribute Internet connection between your users in the way you want.
Yes, sergejs. The ISP has restrictions on single Mac per host/client.
I dont think a company with thousands (literally) of clients will change their policy for one user with only 30 users.

I figured a solution in the end would be to use Virtual Ethernet to use for the PPPoE's via metarouter.
So i bought a 1100AH and ran into even more issues.

First: I can only have 8 metarouters. That would probably be fine...

Second: the bridge i create can only have 8 ports in it. This is a big problem ... The idea is to put all the PPPoE Virtual Ethernets into the bridge as well as the physical ethernet (ether1) so they can all go out through one.

Third: Why is in the 1100AH you cannot add "Virtual Ethernet" through the interfaces menu?

please advise.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:29 pm

What do you want to achieve?

- Your goal is to deliver ISP logins to your network, is it correct?
- Once router is added between your clients and your ISP, I guess you can simply add PPPoE client to outgoing interface and setup PPPoE server on router and provide clients with PPPoE service (locally configured on your RouterBOARD).

cylent
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:16 pm

What do you want to achieve?

- Your goal is to deliver ISP logins to your network, is it correct?
- Once router is added between your clients and your ISP, I guess you can simply add PPPoE client to outgoing interface and setup PPPoE server on router and provide clients with PPPoE service (locally configured on your RouterBOARD).
you are missing the point.

The ISP has restrictions on single Mac per host/client.

i want to create my 30 PPPoE Client Accounts (DIALOUT - Gateways) and attach my LAN users behind them with 3 IPs per PPPoE account from the provider.

The problem is the provider has restriction on multiple PPPoE accounts on one mac address.
Since i am dialing out to the provider on Ether1 my mac address will be the same for all the accounts.

Do you see my problem now?

I resorted to thinking VIFs would help. but as in my second post i am not getting it to work.

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:18 pm

In RouterOS only the bridge MAC address is seen by devices attached to bridge member ports so virtual interfaces will not help in this case - you would always be presenting PADI packets from the bridge MAC address.

Are you trying to use some kind of free service? If the bearer circuit can support 30 x PPPoE then it would be a lot easier if you could just pay the ISP for 30x bandwidth on one session....

cylent
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:18 am

Are you trying to use some kind of free service? If the bearer circuit can support 30 x PPPoE then it would be a lot easier if you could just pay the ISP for 30x bandwidth on one session....
its not free service.
unfortunately the guy in charge says its a system wide policy and not worth the hassle.

Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:59 pm

why are you passing on the login for your PPPoE to users ? Wouldn't it be the same to have your MK server login, gain access and then distribute the internet w/o PPPoe to the users, as an "always on" method ? Is there any benefit from hosting a PPPoE server ?